Two Tone Turd Build

Idiesel

Reaction score
Alright guys to start off I have a 86 rclb f250 diesel that my dad bought when I was born he gave it to me when I was old enough to drive it to high school drove it for a few years added a turbo, propane and a gear vendors to the old thing. We'll after I bought a new truck I have it to my younger brother to drive for his first truck and in the mean time it sat at the house. We'll long story short once he started driving we kept having trouble with air getting in the fuel and tons of problems was beginning to be a headache well leaves got it the blower motor and locked it up and a melted the blower box and caught fire. Luckily we got it out before it got bad and damaged a whole lot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383704912.934715.jpg

Now on to the better part. After thinking for a long time and the Low power of the idi I decided to do a cummins swap but started looking around and they are everywhere so I wanted to be different. After deciding I wanted to do a 6.0 and help from 6.0pstroke we found a wrecked 04 and got for a good price

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383704942.034099.jpg

I plan on running the 6.0 stock with head studs and egr delete while it's out for now till I get the swap up and running then slowly adding the go fast parts.
It will be mated with a zf6 I found and that will go to the original t case with the gear vendors.
I will also be swapping the front axle with a dana 60 from a 95 f350.

I hope to hear what y'all think and any pointers or ideas for the swap. It'll be interesting to say the least

Idiesel

Reaction score
if you have the complete 04 why not just use the axles out of it save the cost of the other d60 and have disc brakes in the rear

The front axle took a pretty hard hit from the tree and it could be bent, I also already had the dana 60 for it setting here before I bought the truck and I won't have to worry about the abs plugs, and I don't think the leaf spring spacing is the same in the new body style.

Idiesel

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
After I posted last night I started ripping into the 6.0 to see what she looked like inside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383745316.465508.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383745328.965783.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383745341.082282.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383745348.182179.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383745363.832286.jpg

It all looks pretty healthy all the cross hatching is still there and no major carbon build up.
Tonight I'm gonna pull the pan and check the lower end and see where we stand just to be sure.
I'm very pleased on how well the guy kept maintenance up on it. No sludge and the degas bottle was still clear.
Now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping the heads are crack free
The only bad thing is the water jackets are pretty rusty so I plan on leaving this oil cooler in there until I get it up and running then running some radiator flush through it to clean it all out then go back in and change the cooler just to be safe.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Awesome project! Why not do a remote oil cooler setup now that way you don't have to tear it back apart?

Idiesel

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I've pondered the remote cooler I've just heard mixed things about them working good as they say and making the lpop work harder, But idk never read a lot into it. My biggest worry right now is the wiring side of it

Last edited:

Idiesel

Reaction score
We'll guys got the pan pulled tonight everything looks great cam all looks good, oil squirters all intact and oil absolutely no sludge even under the seals. Got the heads, intake and oil pan loaded up to be checked and cleaned tomorrow. fingers crossed no cracks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383791974.533079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383791984.149299.jpg

I plan to have the idi in the shop Saturday and pulling the engine and tranny and get ready for mock up soon after.

Idiesel

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I didn't get as far as planned Saturday had a few things get in my way. But got the truck fired up and backed in yesterday, tonight I started pulling the turbo. I didn't get far as I hoped but I plan to have the whole turbo setup off tomorrow, then start pulling the front clip.

Here's a few pictures of the truck and damage that was caused by the fire. Everything is a mess and tore up bc the insulation caught fire and we had to pull the dash away to make sure it was all out.

5yha7uda.jpg

y5uru9u3.jpg

ubenevy4.jpg

a4esyme2.jpg

Also forgot I crawled under neath and noticed that the zf6 will be a very tight squeeze. I thought I had a lot more room when I looked before getting the tranny but looks like I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online