Ultimate tow rig 6.7L or 6.4L ??

ROLLING THUNDER

Reaction score
Here is my thought Im in the need for a new tow rig as Im getting into the business of hot shot hauling. what i need is the best truck out on the road almost trouble free and powerful.

The truck will be a crew cab f450 4x4 auto but I want the best engine out there modified or stock.

What I'm saying is I would like to build a bullet proof engine, trans and drive line. from experienced people I want to know what you have run into and what mods you have done to get around the problem. I would like to get a new truck work it for one year and then throw mods to it to make it better I don't want a hot rod I want something dependable and do the job with ease.

The truck will be pulling a 30ft dual tandem 5th wheel trailer. and loads will range from 10,000 lbs to 20,000lbs for example.

I understand that due to being so new the 6.7 has its flaws with the aftermarket world. but the 6.4 people knows there limits. I will also need "one" vendor to supply parts and work on this truck someone dependable and easy to get along with.

If more info is needed let me know.
thanks stephan

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I am doing something similar. And I am using my 2 6.4s. No experience with the 6.7s yet, but Heavyhaul on here is happy with his 6.7. He still owns a few 6.4s though too. I like the 6 speed trans offered on the new ones. I am still trying to find time to install my GV overdrive, so I can get another gear for the highway.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
If we can be of any help to you, please let us know.

I know that from personal experience with stock trucks, I would go with a 6.7 to meet your needs. It isnt that a 6.4 cant do it, but a 6.7 will be more reliable and in my opinion they have plenty of power in absolutely bone stock form.

Either way your getting a great vehicle, I own a 6.4 and love it. If I were in your shoes I would buy a 6.7 and do just a couple small things to get it to where I wanted it

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
Personnally I would go with a 6.4. With egr delete, tuning, and exhaust these trucks can be towing monsters. The trans behind them is from what Ive heard very dependable. I dont know much of the 6.7s but Ive heard they do have some issues. I have ever agreed with buying a brand new motor as soon as it comes out because the company usually hasnt worked out the kinks yet. I know several guys with 6.4s out here that will pull a gooseneck camper and boat through rocky mountain passes. Im a big fan

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
I mean how modded of a tow rig do you want? I say 6.7 hands down. Hook a trailer behind each and see what you like. In my eyes its no comparison.

Manytoys

Reaction score
I much prefer the two 6.7's I've had over my 6.4. Stock to stock the 6.7 has more power, better trans and almost double the fuel economy in a F450. Plus when you are spending all day every day inside your truck the 2011 and newer is hands down nicer and more comfortable!

jdgleason

Reaction score
I've NEVER driven anything that tows like my 6.4 does. With a tune and a turbo, it is a monster. 6.7s are nice stock, but not a 6.4.

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
JD no offense but you obviously have never towed with a 6.7.

6.4 is nice for power and all but doesn't compare to a 6.7 in towing.

Big thing to think about, be careful on what you do to the truck. DOT is everywhere.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Personally, I am not totally sold on the 6.7 yet. The 6.4 stock bottom ends are handling 1 k hp. The 6.7s haven't been holding together north of 600, from what I have seen so far. And there are already several 100k and even a few 200k 6.4s still running. One of mine included. If you are gonna leave it stock, I would tend to think the 6.7 is the answer. But the 6.4 has already shown that it can take the abuse. I would still like a 6th gear though. as soon as we figure out how to put the new model transmissions in a 6.4, ill be in heaven... LOL Until then, Ill keep my 6.4s and maybe my GV will be the answer for me. Def not bashing the new rigs, they just haven't figured them all the way out yet.

Danny26

Reaction score
6.4 with studs, intake, exhaust, EGR delete, and high powers get my vote. Fast spooling 650+ horsepower you can tow with. Would be cool to tow with that much HP!!!! Haven't driven a 6.7 yet though...

jdgleason

Reaction score
JD no offense but you obviously have never towed with a 6.7.

6.4 is nice for power and all but doesn't compare to a 6.7 in towing.

Big thing to think about, be careful on what you do to the truck. DOT is everywhere.

I have towed a small amount with a 6.7... It was ok. But what I can tell you is that you've never towed with my personal truck. I tow in the same tune that made almost 700 horse. Egts are a non issue and there is no smoke. All of my temps stay in check with no issues. I pull all the passes out here during the winter with a good sized trailer. I wouldn't want anything else.

I agree that 6.7s pull well, but I've never seen a 6.7 that pulls like mine does.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have towed a small amount with a 6.7... It was ok. But what I can tell you is that you've never towed with my personal truck. I tow in the same tune that made almost 700 horse. Egts are a non issue and there is no smoke. All of my temps stay in check with no issues. I pull all the passes out here during the winter with a good sized trailer. I wouldn't want anything else.

I agree that 6.7s pull well, but I've never seen a 6.7 that pulls like mine does.

I love mine for towing, and I dont even have an aftermarket turbo in it yet... Mine on a tune, makes what windows blocks on a 6.7... That is why I wanna let the guys that know best get the 6.7 figured out before I jump on one...

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
honestly. I enjoy towing in my dads 6.7 way more than my 6.4. truck handles it better, just drives better, trans handles it better, rides better towing. mine is tuned deleted, studded, etc. dads is KEM dpf on tuning.

sooooo that says something. I think my 6.4 tows good. just don't think it as good. I've towed thousands of miles with both.

we're I to buy a 450 to stay strictly hooked to a trailer. it'd be a CC/LB 6.7 tuned and deleted.

Eric@HolderdownPerformance

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
honestly. I enjoy towing in my dads 6.7 way more than my 6.4. truck handles it better, just drives better, trans handles it better, rides better towing. mine is tuned deleted, studded, etc. dads is KEM dpf on tuning.

sooooo that says something. I think my 6.4 tows good. just don't think it as good. I've towed thousands of miles with both.

we're I to buy a 450 to stay strictly hooked to a trailer. it'd be a CC/LB 6.7 tuned and deleted.

Eric@HolderdownPerformance

Damn... Right on...

TyCorr

Reaction score
When I was getting my 2011 duramax I test drove a ecsb 6.7 and it towed better than the duramax. When the 2012 was coming into.the picture I again drove a Ford with the 6.7again. It was nicer than the 11 I drove! I would like to point out that my 350hp 07 dmax pulled better/harder than it he 08+ do. Power is a funny animal imo. Now I know we are talking about powerstroke here. So I'll just say having towed with a stock 6.4 when they first came out and my dad's boss selling all seven of their f350 rclb 6.4s because of radiator, headgaskets, and fuel system woes I am uncomfortable with them stock. Especially the fuel mileage for someone hauling and stacking miles.

I'd buy a 6.7 and run it stock. Perhaps a tiny tune to.delete the bs and roll on Mississippi! If you can't get er did with a 400hp f450 buy a semi. 600hp on a heavy ass truck that is gonna be geared through the roof with 4.30 or 4.88 r&p is gonna be plenty hard on axles, trannys,, and everything else.

I put 245k on my 00 superduty in ten years of.owning it. It was literally hooked to a gn the ENTIRE time. Granted, it was a totally different motor and trans but physics haven't changed. I ran a 100hp banks chip just for extra power(probably only made another 50-60). I ran it stock often too as I had an 03 that I put the chip in when I drove it. I retired the 00in 11 and started to spitshine it. Put a bb turbo on it, inj, and aggressive tuning. I've.broke more shti in it empty in 15k miles since retirement than towing for ten years @25k/year.

I'd get something that can be used stock and doesn't need tuning to run properly. The 11s 're BA trucks. The 6.4 needs tunes, deletes, turbos, etc to be dd reliable. Plus hotshotting could put 50k miles a year on that chassis.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score

I true that man. My truck on a 30% pump, and tow powers/cam was an animal. Even with 3.55s and 35s. My f450 6.4 is a tank going through the mountains. Nothing can slow me down

ROLLING THUNDER

Reaction score
Ive towed with a 6.7 hauling two t750 bobcats and it did a really nice job (stock) but havnt towed with a 6.4 (stock). But i have driven a 6.4 and seems to have nice power with no load.

So what will give me a easier decision is who is closer for a repair shop ? I want good and a very trustworthy shop. easy to get parts or have them on the shelf besides ford ha. I want someone who will find problems before they get out of hand and has a flexible schedule.

so a 6.7 tuned and deleted sounds like a good combo and cheap for say.

A 6.4 tuned, egr delete, tow powers?, studs, and possibly a trans ? right out of the gate ?

thanks for your input guys !

Latest posts

Members online