Unknown loss of power hard start issue

Addicted4

Reaction score
I bought a 95 cclb 4x4 obs 7.3 228k miles, ran good and have out about 300 miles on it in a few weeks, changed the oil and filter, fuel filter, filled both tanks with fuel. Yesterday I drove it to work and then home after and it starts easy cold or hot one bump and off she goes. I get home and had to run to the store so I take off on the highway and it stumbles a little at about 40 I look down and I'm on empty so I switch tanks and its full and I'm just coasting as it switched over. I get back in the throttle and check engine light came on and no power what so ever. This truck is bone stock 35's and 4.10 and it has decent power for a old truck. I go to read the code at O'reileys and the truck is running and we plug it in and try to connect truck stumbles and dies. We try again with it off and still not connect, start it and try again and it stumbles but stays running with no luck of connecting. I can unplug sensors and the light will come on and off so I assume the ecm is working but I don't know for sure.

Ob2 won't connect
Long hot start
Pedal is slow to react to position of my foot
Free revs fine once it comes off idle
Sometimes if you put it in gear it will kill the engine

I'm at a lost

79jasper

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it sounds pcm related.
That's actually normal for the obd2 to not work for your year truck.
You need something better like autoenginuity. Torque app may or may not work.
Of course ford can scan it for you.

Check fuel pressure.
So you're saying you filled up both tanks, then next day one was empty?

How's it run with the ICP sensor unplugged?

Almost sounds hpo related, but it's hard to say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
I ran one tank till it was empty, sorry for the confusion on that. It changes the idle when the icp is unplugged have not tried to drive it. Thanks for the info about the scanner I will have it scanned with something that will read it on Monday.

dangerous1

Reaction score
Stupid question, but have you checked the oil level again? Replaced the fuel filter after running the tank dry?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
The tank didn't run dry I just thought it did when it stumbled so I switched tanks and when I got back in the throttle it threw a code and lost all power

m_j

Reaction score
fuel pressure is ?

torque doesnt read codes last I tried. cargaugepro does

Bugman

Reaction score
You need to get the code read by someone that can read it. That means a actual garage or the dealer. 99% of the auto parts stores out there can not read the codes from a Ford diesel engine.

Other than that most of us are going to be just guessing.

A quick and fairly cheap thing to try and to change out is the CPS located on the front of the engine. Only get a Motorcraft one from Ford or the International one. The ones from parts stores are usually junk.

Addicted4

Reaction score
I'll get the codes read, I didn't know that the early 7.3 couldn't be read with the generic code readers was all. My 03 7.3 I never had that problem that's why I asked good idi and people here thanks again.

Addicted4

Reaction score
So I got off work early and grabbed the snap on modus scanner. After figuring out what key I needed I scanned the POS!!!
1280 icp
Turbo circuit
Exhaust back pressure valve and sensor codes
Map sensor

Probably from me messing with the icp sensor and unplugging the map and the ebpv sensor, then I did a buzz test everything sounds fine till I get the results
Injector 1,2,3,4,5,7 high or low side

So there are the codes oh and after a short drive and it warmed up it won't start

Addicted4

Reaction score
P1280 icp circuit out of range
P0476 exhaust pressure control valve perform
P1211 icp pressure above below desired

Ipr will go to 50% while cranking icp 400psi

Addicted4

Reaction score
Any thoughts, checked both heads with a gauge 400 psi while cranking long hard start when cold no start when hot new orings and no noticeable oil leaks around armature plates when it is idling. Hpop **** the bed????

ghohouston

Reaction score
New o rings on what? A no hot start on a 7.3, the first place to check is ipr o rings. Then beyond that, the usual, injector o rings, injector spouts for oil, etc.

Addicted4

Reaction score
New Ipr, icp sensor, and injector orings, oil has 300 miles on it. Nothing has changed after changing these three things. Once warm and wouldn't restart I pulled the valve covers and injector oil drian spouts and unplugged he wiring and cranked over and no oil came out of the injectors so I assume that the injectors are holding the pressure back. With that I pulled the pump cause I ran out of ideas

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.