Upgraded brakes?

B.Warning

Reaction score
I'm not looking for outrageous stopping power or to spend big money on larger calipers, etc. I've been replacing my calipers every 10k miles. This is the 5th one I've had fail on me. Front, rear, drivers, passenger, it doesn't matter. Always the same deal. The piston always comes apart. I've called around to local shops and showed them the caliper and the most common answer is heat from towing heavy. I'll be the first to admit that's the truth but I find it hard to believe I'm the only one that's having issues.

What's your thoughts? If it is caused from heat, what can I do to prevent this?

A local ford junk yard has a set of 08 F450 axles that I can buy for $1500 w/ trade-in of my stock ones. If I could figure out wtf to do with wheel setup I'm ready to go that route. This is becoming a pain in the azz changing calipers.

B.Warning

Reaction score
eed1c8332373c746a04cf53ebeb7c0ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bad12jr

Reaction score
I would think heat would affect both pistons. How do the pads look?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

B.Warning

Reaction score
I would think heat would affect both pistons. How do the pads look?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It normally screws the pads up too.
Rotors "warped" to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotors are good. I replaced them thinking the same and still happened. I then took new ones to machine shop and had them chuck them up on the lathe and spin them. They were true, so that busted that thought.

jcain

Reaction score
How much are you towing? Do your loads have braking axles as well? City traffic? Panic braking or long and steady?

what a mess

Reaction score
man ive been wondering the same thing ive had the worste luck with these breaks like im replacen atleast 1 set of breaks a year its insane to me i just had another set lock up front driver prolly goin to need everything it gets old

B.Warning

Reaction score
How much are you towing? Do your loads have braking axles as well? City traffic? Panic braking or long and steady?

Gross weight is upwards of 45k lbs max. Usually right around 35k. My trailer has brand new brakes on it, adjusted perfectly, old brakes were still in above average condition. I live in a rual, farm community, no city that your thinking of. No panic stabbing, but don't ride the brakes either so they get hot. Always use tow haul for the trans brake to help slow me down.

Truck also weighs 12k on a daily basis.

fine69

Reaction score
Not to sound like a smartazz, but what do you expect to happen when you're grossing 45K? Sounds like you need a bigger truck.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Brian, I just ordered some EBC green stuff pads that are kevlar and not ceramic. Ill let you know how those do with the heat. But I would say put 450 axles on your truck though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
It's bad that his gcwr is that high but that doesn't help the issue at hand. Ford has done nothing to fix the problems that have plagued the Super Duty since the 99s.

Mine do the same thing on my 00. My 04 had the same issue. My 03 did too. Crap calipers.

I hate to say it B, but you need 450 axles and to upgrade those calipers most likely. In other words, you could probably put a big brake kit on your 350 axles. Bigger 4 piston calipers and larger rotors.

Brembo, wilwood, or baer should have something.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
I'll just say that the brakes on our 550s aren't that great either. All 3 got a new set last spring rotors pads and some got new calipers. About $2k a piece dang near. And the one truck is an 11 which had about 23k on it. They all do plow snow which the salt doesnt help anything for sure.

The 2 6.0s are normally hooked to trailers and the 6.7 sees a trailer here and there. Just 20ft enclosed mowing trailers. Around town city traffic and I always run tow haul.

The 6.0 I drive is on its 3rd set of brakes in 70k miles
08640d3f07571de523b899746dc0ee53.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.