Upgrades on 03 6.0?

Reaction score
I have an 03 6.0 that I am looking to put studs in shortly. My thinking is to have injectors rebuilt and possibly turbo replaced at same time. No problems with either but I know myself and I'm planning to upgrade both in near future and want to save on labor costs. My question is to you that have started to mod truck and what you went with to have best results? Truck has SCT that has custom tuned that I will have retuned after upgrades. I has different air intake pipes already and I just had trucks trans rebuilt with billet torque convertor installed. Any realworld exp would be appreciated.
I don't plan on going much past this on build because I want to be able to daily drive and still tow with truck, small loads 8k and down. Prob would like to be around 500hp but no more

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
If you're looking for around 500 you might look into Warren diesel for some 155/stock or 30s or 175/stock or 30s and a KC or Barder turbo. With that you'd want a regulated return and potentially a fuel pump upgrade. You'll want new tunes written with all of this as well. I recommend Drew at Backroad Performance and I know a lot of guys on here like Gearhead

Reaction score
My thought was 155/30 or 175/30 and a upgraded turbo. Just can't decide on what turbo. Would you need upgraded fuel to run the 175's? I keep reading no but was on the fence about that. Injectors, turbo and studs are getting pretty close to what I plan on spending. I have a bad habit of dumping money into motors. Both my Harley's have a complete upgraded motor and it snowballed :)

05stroker350

Reaction score
I would run some 175/30's with a Barder stage 2 and some good tuning. Shouldn't need fuel upgrades with those injectors and that stage 2 should move plenty of air. Throw a No Limit intake on there too and let her eat.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Is there a reason you want a limit on the 500hp? Is it to save the trans?
Do you care about turbo whistle?

Most guys I know that watch fuel pressure say that 175/stock is the limit to hold 55psi without needing a fuel upgrade, and that is only with a very healthy fuel system. 175/30 is definitely too much for the stock fuel system if you beat on it hard... but if you are only going to floor it for less than a few seconds then it might hold.

175/stock and a good stage 1.5 turbo should put your right around the 500hp mark. But once you get up into the stage 2 realm you will start getting up around 550hp.

There are also so many different ways to reach the same goal, and every truck is different... but here are a few examples.

175/stock + stock turbo = 450-500hp
175/stock + stage 1.5 turbo = 475-515
175/stock + stage 2 turbo = 500-530
175/30 + stage 2 turbo = 525-575
190/30 + stage 2.5 turbo = 535-585
etc...
etc...

You can see that your 500hp goal is easily attainable... but also easily surpassed.

Reaction score
Afraid if go much more than 500ish that several more upgrades would be needed. Not planning on doing anything but playing around with it some and don't want to make unreliable. I've read and that seems to be the mark were things start either breaking or having to repair regularly. Not my daily driver so not a major issue to work on it but 500 ish should do what I'm wanting

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Cool

I think 175/30 and a stage 2 turbo will work great for you. Just run a really good street tune (instead of a hot n heavy race tune)

Let me know if you need some pricing on a KC stage 2 turbo. I can even get you a turbo/injector combo deal.

[email protected]

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Just finished up a ccdrw with 155/30's and a 62fmw. Truck is a blast to drive. Didn't dyno it so can't say a actual hp number. Just food for thought. Like said above there is probably every build imaginable on here, just do the research.

Reaction score
Don't know if anybody could help but the 03 I bought was supposed to already an upgraded turbo when I purchased it. I was wondering if there is a way of telling what turbo it is. Stamping #'s? It is on factory pedestal so would have had to been a drop in upgrade. Some other "stuff" that was supposed to have been done I've found to be bs so not sure what I hsve. Had a couple guys ride w that have some experience w these trucks and say it does seem to act bigger but I dunno

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Take a picture of the turbo and compressor wheel and then post it up. It is pretty easy to tell

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
You wouldn't necessarily need a fuel upgrade with that small of injectors but you can never be too careful. I would personally do a fuel upgrade. But, on the turbo, if its a garrett there will be a serial number on the back side of the compressor housing that you can get and look up on their website and it will tell you the details of the turbo.

Reaction score
pictures of turbo

I know it took forever for images but if you have a chance to look at I would appreciate it. I'm pretty sure its stock once I looked at it but would like a second opinion

Attachments

• IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3533.JPG
    IMG_3533.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3535.JPG
    IMG_3535.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 39

swinky

Reaction score
Looks stock. It's still a vgt so you don't have a better turbo than the stock one anyway..........

Sorry Charlie.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
That is the stock turbo... one of the early 2003 turbos. Nothing upgraded

Latest posts

Members online