Used 6.7 world

stroker2

Reaction score
Looking to make my way to the 6.7 world. I think i will be looking at used trucks with under 50k miles. My question(s) is which generation of the 6.7 do you guys prefer / which is better? The 11-14's with their better transmission but weaker turbo? Or the 15-16's with their better turbo but weaker transmission?

In my opinion based on what i would use the truck for, i like the exhaust brake on the 15-16's but also like the stronger trans of the 11-14's. The way i see it, i can get an 11-14 cheaper and spend the money i save on upgrading the turbo but i still wont have an exhaust brake will i?

Thanks

Santa Gertrudis

Reaction score
You seem to be on the right track so far. Just how important is the exhaust brake to you? I'd buy an 11-14 and use the ton of money saved to do a few mods, such as a 2015 turbo or a non-VGT. I actually just bought a 2011 with 50,000 miles on it, and I have zero regrets. Will I be replacing the turbo? Absolutely. I also saved a ton of money over a 2015+ though...

Can an exhaust brake be added aftermarket? Not sure on these trucks. Might solve your issue there.

Jomax

Reaction score
I honestly don't know about the 2015 trans being that much weaker. I have 22k miles in the race tune and the trans is still perfect. Truck is abused as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stroker2

Reaction score
I am in the heart of the rocky mountains and although i may not tow as often as some or tow heavy very often, i am always climbing up mountain passes or going down them so a good trans and exhaust brake would both be a nice feature. As for a turbo upgrade on the 11-14's if there is in fact an exhaust brake feature that can be added i would stay with a VGT. As for non-VGT, i live at high altitude in the mountains so being laggy and having to rev over 2k to build any boost would get old in a hurry...if that is in fact the nature of a non-vgt on a 6.7?

WHY NOT

Reaction score
If your looking at a 450 do a 15-16 since it has the bigger rear axle and 19.5s again. anything else I think your on the right track about saving the extra for the turbo swap. KR you get a brown instead of red color leather in the 15+ too

Jomax

Reaction score
Stick with VGT being where you live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbsimmons

Reaction score
If you plan on doing a turbo swap this will be meaningless.
My brother has '11 with 3.55's and I have a 16' with 3.73's.
I like mine better pulling the trailer, the exhaust brake is great plus more power on the top end.
I like his taking off, more power down low for getting around but would take mine over his. Everything else seems the same to me. Both are nice trucks.

Wayne

Reaction score
The job 1 '11's had random issues with exhaust valves cracking, and breaking off, destroying everything in their path. Not a ton of them do it, but I've seen enough to know I'd get at least a job 2 for peace of mind.

Black AOD

Reaction score
The job 1 '11's had random issues with exhaust valves cracking, and breaking off, destroying everything in their path. Not a ton of them do it, but I've seen enough to know I'd get at least a job 2 for peace of mind.

This right here. Buying an 11, this would concern me more than anything.

Santa Gertrudis

Reaction score
What is wrong with the earlier radio? Possible to replace it with a quality double din?

On the 11-12 models, there is a standard double din opening, but 2013 and newer has the myford touch system, which would be very hard to replace with something else since a lot of controls are integrated into it. This is at least on the Lariat and Platinums. I'm not sure on XL or XLT

TyCorr

Reaction score
What is wrong with the earlier radio? Possible to replace it with a quality double din?

The 13+ have that huge myfordtouch center stack.

I agree it looks better but myfordtouch hasn't agreed with me in about 5 vehicles now. If you like it, that's fine. Just stating for me its not really wanted. One more thing to go wrong in a truck id most likely be using to work.

Santa Gertrudis

Reaction score
The 13+ have that huge myfordtouch center stack.

I agree it looks better but myfordtouch hasn't agreed with me in about 5 vehicles now. If you like it, that's fine. Just stating for me its not really wanted. One more thing to go wrong in a truck id most likely be using to work.

Gotta agree with you there. Had the MFT in my 2013 F150 and it was glitchy as hell. I'm much happier with the more "basic" nav unit in my 2011 now.

superpsd

Reaction score

If I recall reading that the valves were bad batches of valves not treated correctly by the vendor and Ford knows what engines by serial number are effected. Probably a TSB on the issue.

stroker2

Reaction score
Great info guys, thank you. I was going to try and stay with '12 and newer to avoid the little glitches / gremlins you hear about on the '11s anyway. I also am on the fence about the 11-12 radio and the 13+ radio i think

Latest posts

Members online