Used ICON CDC RIDES LIKE POO

zeeman

Reaction score
Picked up a second hand ICON 4.5 with the 1"BMC. CDC shocks on all 4 corners with ICON dual steering stabilizer, PMF ALA and 5.5" traction blocks. Had it put on and aligned last week, I'm sad to say I'm very disappointed in the ride quality. I've tried every setting on the shocks and it's still a more harsh ride than stock. Shocks are only a year or two old, do they need to be rebuilt already? How much does alignment affect ride quality? What else can I check?

It's all on my 2014 F-250 FX4 lariat, 22x12 AF and 35x12.50 Toyo MT

TripleE44

Reaction score
Going up in wheel size will also cause a harsher ride. It may not be the shocks.

Another thing to look at is tire pressure, but I don't know how low to tell you to go with that small of a sidewall. But for what it's worth, I run 40psi in the front tires and 35 in the back.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Going up in wheel size will also cause a harsher ride. It may not be the shocks.

Another thing to look at is tire pressure, but I don't know how low to tell you to go with that small of a sidewall. But for what it's worth, I run 40psi in the front tires and 35 in the back.

great post. mine rode WAY better than stock.

w3bb3r04

Reaction score

Does your front tires not look flat with 40 psi in them? Im guessing they are only D rated? I have 20s and 35s so that may be why.

zeeman

Reaction score
I'm gonna check the tire PSI in the morning, kinda have a feeling that's contributing to the harshness. I'm having the shop double check the alignment on Thursday as well.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Does your front tires not look flat with 40 psi in them? Im guessing they are only D rated? I have 20s and 35s so that may be why.

They do have a little bulge down at the bottom but it's not terrible. Ill take it with how much better they ride. They're d rated. I ran my 20s and 35s at the same pressures.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
They do have a little bulge down at the bottom but it's not terrible. Ill take it with how much better they ride. They're d rated. I ran my 20s and 35s at the same pressures.

i ran my 22/35's right below 50 and the ride was nice .

jcain

Reaction score
295/65r20 open country at2 extremes at 45/40 for daily driving is a huge improvement. I only air up to tow or long road trips.

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
I loved my lift's ride. try tire pressure and I set my shocks at 4 in the front and softest on the back. 45 psi all around and rode like hot butter

Jassman

Reaction score
Like some of the guys stated lower pressure in rear. I have different set up 37x12.5x20. 65 front 60 rear. I have the Fox adj 2.5 in front and 2.0 in rear. I have played with it and found that in front #1 setting on bottom section of front shock to be the softest setting going over road and #3 on handling the blue valve for front... and #3 in rear. I had my 4 th alignment yesterday and found out that you need to also add 1 degree additional caster to the right side...truck goes down the road now with no vibration and steers straight. This might apply only to my truck and these extremely crowned MS freeways.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
just adjusted the PSI on the excursion, run 45 all the way around...truck went from riding like a dump truck to a caddie.......most tire places atleast that we deal with will air them up to the max PSI to help seat the bead,

zeeman

Reaction score
Discount put the fronts to 60 PSI and the rears to 75 PSI WTFFFFF lol. Have them set at 50 all around now. I'm either on the hardest or softest setting on my rear shocks, can't tell because the dial is behind the frame rail

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I have the Icon 2.5 resi's on my truck with out the CDC valve and I think it would be like having the CDC valve set to number 4 on your shocks if what I have read is correct. I will say I think the ride on smooth roads is more harsh than the 2.0's that I had on it before. I think its because they are so much harder to push in that the little 2.0's. But, on back roads and rough roads the truck rides way better and is much more in control not bouncing all over the place like it was with the 2.0s they just weren't enough to control the 8300 lb truck trying to bounce up and down the road. But like you said on a smooth road hitting something like an expansion joint on a bridge I think you can feel it a little more, but over all the the truck is much more controlled going down the road.

On a side note when Installing the traction bars you did them with the weight on the truck on the back axle correct? No like it was on lift and the axle hanging down, because that could cause some binding and it to ride rougher as well.

Latest posts

Members online