Vacuum at idle

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I moved to Wyoming a week ago. So I notice the air is thinner and it way colder then Vegas. But I also see that I pull 2.7 - 3.3 pounds of vacuum at idle. (Lower end if that when warm at idle)Is that normal? Truck is a little more laggy but I expected that. Is that much vacuum normal? I used to see .6 vacuum tops at idle in Vegas.
Here is a pic of my liverwire.

99F65574-B762-44F8-B3B3-DFE66C5ED4CD_zpsyh7g7wii.jpg

jngreen

Reaction score
I doubt that you are actually pulling vacuum, I bet the gauge is calculating boost by subtracting normal atmospheric pressure, which is something like 14.7 psi at sea level. Since there is less air in higher elevations, subtracting by 14.7 actually puts your gauge further into thr negative numbers.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
I doubt that you are actually pulling vacuum, I bet the gauge is calculating boost by subtracting normal atmospheric pressure, which is something like 14.7 psi at sea level. Since there is less air in higher elevations, subtracting by 14.7 actually puts your gauge further into thr negative numbers.

hmmm

What part of Wyoming did you move to?

yours.

WYO7.3

Reaction score

I would agree diesels are usually pressurized with little to no vacuum at set times. Hence the use of vacuum pumps.

jngreen

Reaction score
What does your monitor read with your key on, engine off? Does it read zero?

jngreen

Reaction score
Well now you know it is not a mechanical issue. I would assume it is normal.

Latest posts

Members online