van turbo

dsljnky

Reaction score
I've searched for info on the van turbo swap but not coming up with much. I'm more curious about it than anything else. Does it have any real power gains etc...

Jake

Reaction score
The do flow some more air to be able to burn some more fuel. I have one on both trucks and like it more than the stock sd turbo, no surge and better on the to end with lower egts. But for power gain I don't think there is much power gain just in the swap.

DcMoore

Reaction score
I have one I'm running with 238s right now.. It does pretty good but of course doesn't clean up to good LOL All you need is the $113 adaptor from beans and some new pedistal o-rings.

MINK

Reaction score
I ran one on my 02 with ads/100% nozzles. I loved it for the price, seat of the pants tell me it had more power but I have no proof. I'd recomend it to anyone looking to go to the next step up from a stock charger

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Anyone know what the turbine housing size is on the early 99 van turbo?

Strokersace

Reaction score
E99 Turbine housing is still the 1.15, same as the late 99 van turbo.

I've ran a van turbo for quite a while now. With stock AD's and it was a night and day difference over stock turbo. Not anymore lag (in my case) but plenty of topend where the stocker choked it out.

Ran on 3 trucks with hypermax 2's. Doesn't clean up totally but good. Does what I want it to in the interm till I can afford a GQSSB.

dsljnky

Reaction score
hmm, might have to look into it then. i dont want to spend a lot on the dually right now being that im saving for a trans for the lb7 :D

bazdog1

Reaction score
in my experience the van turbo is laggy and hot just driving normal, but wot it is way better. I live at altitude though and most guys at sea level love it. I have a 1.0 housing on my stock turbo and its perfect for my stage 1's.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If I get a e99 van turbo and with that turbo being non-wastegated, wouldn't that turbine housing be the same as the 1.15 38r housing??

dsljnky

Reaction score
I ran one on my 02 with ads/100% nozzles. I loved it for the price, seat of the pants tell me it had more power but I have no proof. I'd recomend it to anyone looking to go to the next step up from a stock charger

is that what you had on it when you sold it? maybe i should give travis a call :D

Strokersace

Reaction score
If I get a e99 van turbo and with that turbo being non-wastegated, wouldn't that turbine housing be the same as the 1.15 38r housing??

Same size yes, but it will not work on a 38R. This is because the van turbo has slightly different shapped vains on the turbine wheel. I believe they are slightly larger than the stock truck wheel or the 38R. So techincally yes, that van turbine housing will bolt onto a 38R but it won't fit right.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Not larger, but the fins are shaped slightly different than the stock truck turbine wheel. I've never compared them myself, but people on the forums have said that you can't swap the 1.15 housing from a van turbo to the stock turbo or 38R because of this issue.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Sorry to repeat, but is the E99 van turbo the same as the later van turbo. I know the late 99 and on has a bigger turbine wheel. Was just hoping the e99 turbo had the same turbine wheel as the 38r.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I've never heard of the L99 having a bigger turbine wheel. The differences in the E99 to L99 VAN turbo are the exact same as the pickup turbo. The E99 has the same compressor housing as the OBS turbos. This means that it only has 4 bolts that attach it to the backing plate and the outlet is only 2". I believe it's a 1.10 a/r compressor housing.

The L99 pickup and van turbo has 5 bolts to attach to the backplate, is a 1.00 a/r, and has a 3" outlet. The exhaust side of the turbo is the same for both the E and L van turbos. Same with the pickup, it's the same for both. The differences come into play only on the compressor side.

As for putting a 1.15 van exhaust housing on the pickup turbo or a 38R, yes it can be done. HOWEVER, the clearances between the outer edge of the fins on the exhaust wheel and the housings will be different. At one time I had a picture showing the truck wheel and the van wheel to see the very small but crutial difference.

Latest posts

Members online