Verifying My P1272 results...

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
New here, but plan to stay! I'm a high school autos teacher so I have access to a lot of neat toys some of you guys don't have...

Bought a 2002 F250 Lariat w/7.3 4R100. Bought it with 300k on the ticker and a week later did a total rebuild of the 4r100 (all the good mods). HOWEVER I've had this P1272 since I bought it. I am new to the diesel world...

Pulled the plug at the IDM and tested the harness, all under 5ohms, all within .5 ohms of each other. Pulled the drivers side cover and harness looked relatively new. I've done several Buzz tests and Contribution tests. Buzz tests come back with P1272 although all injectors fire and sound the same, CCT comes back with only Cyl #8 (which is typical). Has the slightest rough idle that you can hardly detect otherwise it runs well (towed a Pacifica 100ish miles and got 12.5mpg towing).

Am I looking at a bad injector? Its my DD and can't really afford to have it down.

MossBack

Reaction score
That would be cyl #2 hi to low side open... If you have verified wiring to and under the valve cover to injector and the pins are all good it is a injector.

We have tons of great vendors that make injectors here that can get really competitive prices for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Yeah, I've verified it and its testing good. Just sucks that its not causing IMHO a huge issue especially when the CCT comes back with no issue to have to spend $$ on injectors...

Well, looks like I need to find a second job to pay for my new ride... :)

As a second question, how long can I limp this injector along? Just spent $3300 on rebuilding the trans + t.c. money is kinda tight to spend $1000-2000 on injectors...

Last edited:

Irontx

Reaction score
Man... If it was me.... I'd throw a #2 injector in there and call it a day... save up till you can replace all 8....

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
how does the truck run other than this code? is it a hard code or a soft code and it just keeps popping up when you pull codes? if it runs smooth and doesnt skip then just run it. but if it has a skip then you can send that injector out to a vendor like rosewood. will take care of you for sure. parts for an injector is not that bad at all.

On edit i just reread and saw that it has 300k...the motors fine how ever most injectors dont have a great lifespan after 200k. ive talked to several builders and 180k is pretty common to start seeing failures. My girls father has 360k on his truck, hasnt had a single issue up until a few months ago and injectors were dropping like flys. Ran great just didnt have a ton of power any more. Keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds here as i see great deals for rebuilt injectors all the time.

Last edited:

MossBack

Reaction score
Man... If it was me.... I'd throw a #2 injector in there and call it a day... save up till you can replace all 8....

Exactly! A good injector can be had for less than $150. Pull it in and let the auto shop kids replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, as a teacher, you can see I don't get a lot of time on my hands! As for your questions Rideracelivemx7, there's only the slightest hint of a miss, but no matter what I do, the code comes back every-time. I will look for a single injector and may do the harnesses and valve cover gaskets just to be sure...

Lang

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, as a teacher, you can see I don't get a lot of time on my hands! As for your questions Rideracelivemx7, there's only the slightest hint of a miss, but no matter what I do, the code comes back every-time. I will look for a single injector and may do the harnesses and valve cover gaskets just to be sure...

Careful where you "look" for an injector. We have great sponsors here that won't sell you garbage. Stay away from Pensacola Diesel, etc... Do a good google search before you purchase.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Careful where you "look" for an injector. We have great sponsors here that won't sell you garbage. Stay away from Pensacola Diesel, etc... Do a good google search before you purchase.

I just got done looking at those reviews lol!

I've actually been into offroading and jeeps for about 5-6 years ('99 XJ and '66 CJ5) and always research before I buy. Typically if I do anything, I do it right the first time, but as my original posts state, I simply won't have the $$ to do all the injectors for quite some time...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You can swap the #2 injector with the #4 injector to verify it is indead the injector before you send it in to get worked on.. you can also find a good used set of injectors from some guys on here for around $500ish but make sure they come with new orings..

live life full throttle

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
You can swap the #2 injector with the #4 injector to verify it is indead the injector before you send it in to get worked on.. you can also find a good used set of injectors from some guys on here for around $500ish but make sure they come with new orings..

live life full throttle

I know its an extremely simple swap, but if I'm going in there again, I want to have the parts needed to make the swap then without having to deal with sucking out oil, fuel, etc more than once. I'll snoop around here and see if I can find a used set and go from there.

dsberman94

Reaction score
If you can find another vehicle for 2 weeks, pull them all and send them to rosewood for a rebuild. They'll need it with that mileage.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
If you can find another vehicle for 2 weeks, pull them all and send them to rosewood for a rebuild. They'll need it with that mileage.

I have them bookmarked, right now I just need to get by and I'll try and get them done either late this summer or this next fall. I have my '99 Cherokee that is 'road-worthy' enough to DD for a while...

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Bringing back a thread from the dead here, but we all hate it when the results are never shared and you never hear from them OP again...

I ended up replacing the #2 injector about mid August. My father was a truck driver for 25 years and remembered there used to be a company that rebuilt injectors in town. Sure enough, I found the company and they're still rebuilding injectors (they've been doing this for 20-30 years now!) so I called them up. They'd rebuild my injectors for $169.95 with a 1-2day turn around, or they had 'their-brand' rebuilts on the shelf for $175 ($50 core).

Well I figured at some point I'd want my whole set rebuilt so I opted for a shelf unit and kept my original injector. A month later and I'm averaging 20-22mpg on trips from here to the folks ~150miles one way. I've towed a couple times and average 16-18 towing(same 150 trip), not bad for 300k on the ticker!

North 'Now to fix the HPOP' Woods2002

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Good deal. Thanks for updating. Hang around and be a member here.

Plan to, but being a teacher I don't always get the time to 'surf the webs' unless its for a related project I'm working on.

Very cool, what was the name of the shop?

Here is their webpage. I only have one injector from them currently with 6k on it, but its solid so far...

http://www.lacrossediesel.com/

I emailed back and forth with one of the owners and then had my father pick up the injector (I live three hours north of here) and both seemed like pretty nice and helpful people.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yep. Their a fellow ADS shop. I believe I've been to a few schools with one or two of their guys.

Latest posts

Members online