Very Pleased

budro

Reaction score
Just finished the headlight install, and I can't for the life of me figure out why it took me so long.to do this. I bought the 6k 55w headlights, and fog lights. I was initially worried about the color, as they were blue on start up, but once they warm up, it is a pure white.

I'll have to call in tomorrow for a bad ballast, the left headlight wouldn't strike, and a little trouble shooting singled out the ballast. I.ended up using a fog light ballast so I could drive at night until it gets sorted out.

Great product!

Thanks

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
you sure it's the ballast bryan? my passenger side wouldn't fire until the 6th or 7th switch. i had to end up getting an external relay kit from retro (like $15) and it fires every time now.

and I thought you were selling your truck?

budro

Reaction score
Yes, its the ballast, verified voltage, and swapped sides, singled out the bad part

retrosolutions

Reaction score
Yes, its the ballast, verified voltage, and swapped sides, singled out the bad part

Very sorry to hear bud! Instead of calling, as you might not be able to get through, just hit reply to your order confirmation email and fill us in on everything. Make sure to mention you tested by swapping, confirming voltage supply, and checking polarity as that will speed it up for you.
Also, CP is an authorized vendor, and as mentioned you can pick up a ballast from them directly (thank you CP!) if in a time crunch. If you do that, just let us know accordingly so we can take care of both parties.

budro

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I stopped at the headlights install last night, and did some more troubleshooting this afternoon. The ballast in question is working today, but from a different source, the fog light harness. It does strike the lamp, but makes a loud arcing noise on start up.

When I swapped ballast last night, it was only a plug/play swap after reading 11.9 volts input.

I verified the lamp was good on the other side that was functioning.

The difference in today and last night is that the fog light wiring is aftermarket and fed straight from the batteries. I'm assuming this ballast is just a bit voltage sensative?

I had to hit the road before I could dig any deeper, look into it tomorrow morning. If I need a ballast I'll just give Paul a shout, didn't know he was a dealer :banghead:

retrosolutions

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I stopped at the headlights install last night, and did some more troubleshooting this afternoon. The ballast in question is working today, but from a different source, the fog light harness. It does strike the lamp, but makes a loud arcing noise on start up.

When I swapped ballast last night, it was only a plug/play swap after reading 11.9 volts input.

I verified the lamp was good on the other side that was functioning.

The difference in today and last night is that the fog light wiring is aftermarket and fed straight from the batteries. I'm assuming this ballast is just a bit voltage sensative?

I had to hit the road before I could dig any deeper, look into it tomorrow morning. If I need a ballast I'll just give Paul a shout, didn't know he was a dealer :banghead:

Because the ignition strike is very high voltage and high frequency, if there is even a pin hole in the jacket of the wiring (high-voltage side) between ballast and bulb, you can get an arc that shorts across. It'll drive you nuts too, because generally the type of jacket material heals back rather cleanly, so you can't see it in the dark recesses of the engine bay. With the lights off completely, check the wiring for any cuts or nicks with a LED flashlight if you can.
If that checks out okay, definitely EMAIL ( [email protected] ) us directly so we can walk through all things to check with you!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online