Vgt compound

slc dzl

Reaction score
The duramax has compound kits that use the stock vgt.
My question is why cant the stock 6.0 turbo be compound?

If its backpressure can you wastegate around it and tune the vgt solenoid to
work with the gate?

Or is it the turbo shaft or thrust bearing? Not something im looking to do just have always wondered about it.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
its the way the vgt is controlled, Duramax's use a vane position sensor to set vane position, 6 liters do not. The use back pressure guestimates and equations to set vane position. This is why you cant really successfully gate around with without doing some intense tuning.

It has nothing to do with the shafts or anything, the stock duramax turbo share same frame as the 6L.

I'd like to see someone pull it off, it is possible.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Matt...I see you reading this. How am I doing LOL?

41569_312949702912_1294766_n.jpg

2wd-fire

Reaction score
its the way the vgt is controlled, Duramax's use a vane position sensor to set vane position, 6 liters do not. The use back pressure guestimates and equations to set vane position. This is why you cant really successfully gate around with without doing some intense tuning.

It has nothing to do with the shafts or anything, the stock duramax turbo share same frame as the 6L.

I'd like to see someone pull it off, it is possible.

What about on the early stratiges that use the ebp sensor

Redneck6.0L

Reaction score
the biggest low pressure you'd want togo with is a s471, stock or powermax with a 50mm external gate with no bigger than a s471 runs good, but do not go bigger than a 71 for it will puck up your high pressure

jbkingranch

Reaction score
Hmm... I've got a couple of 60mm turbos at my disposal off Series 60 Detroit's. Don't know what the flow rate is but as a single it makes 400hp and 1200 on the torque for a 11+ liter engine. I told a buddy of mine a week ago it might be worth a try.

strokin6L

Reaction score
the biggest low pressure you'd want togo with is a s471, stock or powermax with a 50mm external gate with no bigger than a s471 runs good, but do not go bigger than a 71 for it will puck up your high pressure

Shawn i thought i remember hearing that you actually tried running the stock vgt in a compound setup a long long time ago when you were first trying twins out. What size low pressure did you use and did you gate it?

IdahoF350

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a long time. I have a slightly different approach in mind. I wanted to run a pair of smaller turbos as the low pressure units, about the size of GT3071Rs, one on each exhaust manifold, with a waste gate to and controller to light them off and hold them at something like 20psi. Pipe the outlets and waste gate circuits back together and run them to the stock turbo. Move the EBP sensor to the new Y-pipe from the new low pressure units and the stock turbo. The small turbos should spool just fine, and in turn make good low speed airflow. The factory tuning could then be altered to control the peak boost based on throttle just like it does now. I would think something like this could make 50-60psi.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Why run off of each manifold? Would just make more of a piping disaster.
Also, why put your low pressures before your high in the exhaust?

Last edited:

IdahoF350

Reaction score
Those are the responses I expected, along with:

It can't be done.
Why would you try to do it that way?
Insert random bash here...

It's cool, I'll lay of the crack pipe for a while....

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb is that your primary should flow twice as much as your secondary.

For a non vgt. Id go gtx3582r under a gtx4508r.

I think that would be a spooling mofo, and super fun to drive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online