Viability of a 6.0

TheViking

Reaction score
I'm looking at Super Duty prices and the 7.3 is my first pick but I do prefer the 05 body style and the TorqShift. The prices of 6.0 are a cheaper buy than the 7.3 come with more power and less mileage than the OSB/Super Duty with the 7.3.

Now here is my concern can I bullet proof a 6.0 for the price difference, also how long is the service life of a 6.0 after its been bullet proofed?

How will it handle five hundred and fifty to six hundred horsepower, how much torque will you expect to produce at those levels of horse power I'm guessing one thousand to twelve hundred foot pounds of torque? Is it still reliable as a daily driver or work truck? Also how would a manual transmission stand up compared to the TorqShift transmission?

Also what would a F350 crew cab long bed dually be able to pull weight wise, my ball park guess is under twenty six thousand pounds legally.

Last but not least I'm looking at a truck to pull double duty as a daily driver and work truck for a business I'm thinking of undertaking. I want something that's not going to leave my children stranded on he daily commute and something I can rely on day in and day out to get the job done.

morepower02

Reaction score
After owning a couple for ten years I can tell you that I have never "bullet proofed" either and both run a sct with decent tuning. Sure only 400 ish at the wheels but set it and forget it. If you need more hp and it's to be reliable hp go 6.7.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
Here we go again.....

So honestly what's the goal? You ask about 600hp then ask again about towing 26k.

Just buy a 6.7 that's what the last guy that asked a similar question did.

Reaction score
If you want a work truck that makes 600 plus I wouldn't go with a 6.0. It can be made easier with a 6.0 then a 7.3 for sure, but still takes some work. I loved my 6.0 but in the end I'd have to agree if you really NEED 600 hp and a reliable work truck I'd go 6.7. Also, have you ever ridden in a 600 hp truck?

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
In my opinion you would need to reassess your priorities if you want a high hp truck to tow that kind of weight. Nobody would recommend regularly working a high hp truck that hard day in and day out without expecting some issues. A 6.0 with the correct bulletproofing done and a reputable tune will do plenty of reliable work. 6.7's are nice too if you have the means.

TheViking

Reaction score
While I wish I had the means of affording a 6.4 or 6.7 I'm trying to look at the cost effective side. Also six hundred horsepower is rather high and in hindsight four hundred horsepower seems more prudent and honestly easier to maintain the driveline with.

Thank you for your input and sorry to get this going again

equalizier

Reaction score
You can do 400 hp all day long and be very reliable.But as you go up in hp you go down in dependability so to speak.The power comes rather easily for the 600 hp to if you know what your doing.The problem with the 600 hp truck is getting that turbo to spool fast enough to add the air to burn the fuel.If "some one "ever figures it out it certainly won't be cheap.This is every guys dream on these forums that wants a super mean bad ass truck.To have a truck that makes 1000 hp and spools instantly and can tow 28k lbs and gets 23 mpg who the hell wouldn't want that.lol

Last edited:

BlAcKeNeD

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry with the HP... I personally have an 05 6.0 and the hp bug bit... So...Studs, gaskets, RR blah blah blah... I added a set of 190/50's and MTW MadMax (mistake BTW)... But once this was done I needed more fuel and more air then stock components could provide... So after redoing basically the entire engine I now need a trans... :mad:... If you want something nice you can jump in and drive and enjoy... LEAVE IT ALONE ... throw a tune on it and enjoy it... If you have to have more go from there... But once it starts the usefulness of the truck seems to decline...

powerlifter405

Reaction score
If you can't afford a 6.4 tuned, easily 600 hp, then reassess if you're concerned w/ a high HP truck.

A 7.3 has plenty of potential and Charles and a few others are running larger injectors and tow plenty. The 7.3 flexibility is the on the fly tuning but to actually tow w/ 4-500 real HP and tq you destroy things in a hurry. I think it was Charles who destroyed 2-3 of the rear ring and pinions while towing. He burned them up in the higher hp settings.

The 6.0 runs quieter but in my experience the 7.3 got the best mileage of my usage. I really like the over all drive quality w/ the coil spring on the 05+ trucks. The 5spd makes towing smoother but I've talked w/ a few guys who have towed extensively w/ both and liked the 7.3 motor for its torque application due to more displacement. However, I like to maintain speed and both have tackled my 8-10k or so tows w/o any issues at highway speed.

I wouldn't mind having an early 03 for the interior appointments then build my motor to my liking w/ some 238 or even 250/200, go twins or a GTX4088R or slightly larger w/ a BTS and it'd be a towing monster if properly tuned that is easy as pie to work on comparably to all the others. No emissions to deal w/, less sensors still probably the best mileage of the ford/IH offerings and it's cheap to insure. A tuned 6.4 is a beast and I hear the 6.7 is pretty solid but they are $$$$ and are not cheap to work on. Price out a HPFP for the 6.4 and you'll see what I mean.

At the end of the day if you don't want a ton of HP but want something super reliable and is easy to work on here is this idea:
Get a 7.3 w/ good compression.
Alliant NIB stock single shots
GTP38R and upgraded uppipes
Torque converter upgrade
Trans cooler upgrade
Swamps or a a tuner who pioneered and focuses on the 7.3

That should get you a solid reliable truck w/ enough HP to get and keep most things moving. Mileage will be better than a 6.0 but the ride quality won't be as good as a 05+.

If you go 6.0 then go 05+ for the ride.
Flush the coolant.
Delete egr & cat delete
stud
get a 63.5mm turbo
tunes
blue spring
replace injectors if over 150k w/ FORD

IMHO if you add any fuel, even w/ a tuner, I believe more air should be added. Under heavy throttle the EGTS can get out of hand if you're not careful.

Good luck and don't be drawn in by lots of bling or trucks that have been extensively modified. I've read too many horror stories, trucks modded out then sold when problems arise, bandaided up for a quick sale.

TheViking

Reaction score
I'm going to go 6.0 for the ride I like the interior better than the 99-03. 6.4, 6.7, 7.3 are all desirable but I'm looking at the 6.0 for costs.

After reassessment of my initial goals 400 HP is more than enough for my projected load and goals. I find a 6.0 also is one of the best sounding engines ever built personally.

I'm not looking for bling, I'm looking for a work truck and the majority of aftermarket wheels I don't even like. I may be the rare one here but I rather have decent factory wheels and great tires with little or no lift. I'm six foot three inches and even I wonder why folks put 38 inch tires or larger on a "work truck" a few companies have done that around here. I rather save the money on wheels, lift, larger tires, ect and put back into my business for better equipment.

Sorry I went OT there.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I think y that is the first time I've heard anyone say they are going 6.0 to SAVE money LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheViking

Reaction score
I think y that is the first time I've heard anyone say they are going 6.0 to SAVE money LOL

Yeah I know but prices for the 7.3 are jacked up as well as for the 6.4 and 6.7. I was looking for the low initial purchase price and buying aftermarket cheaper than factory replacement parts, if those even exist.

248superduty

Reaction score
I have had my 6.0 for 3.5 years now and it has never left me stranded on the side of the road. I bout it with 140k miles and now has over 205k miles. it has slightly larger injectors, egr delete and a custom SCT tune. It rides ok for a truck on 8" lift. I can get in it and drive from Virginia to Michigan and back and not worry about anything. And I have done that trip at least twice a year since i bought it.

equalizier

Reaction score
I have had my 6.0 for 3.5 years now and it has never left me stranded on the side of the road. I bout it with 140k miles and now has over 205k miles. it has slightly larger injectors, egr delete and a custom SCT tune. It rides ok for a truck on 8" lift. I can get in it and drive from Virginia to Michigan and back and not worry about anything. And I have done that trip at least twice a year since i bought it.

You should have never said that.....lol you jenxed yourself.

TheViking

Reaction score
Just bustin your balls, I don't blame you

I know why I asked here this site doesn't have a lot of the anger of some other forums or drama.
I have heard from a few guys that they have had zero issues with them.
You should have never said that.....lol you jenxed yourself.
I was kinda thinking the same thing!

jngreen

Reaction score
I like them all, especially the 7.3 because I have owned two of them. However, I think if I ever get back into a diesel truck, I will look for an 05-07 6.0. Either that or cclb obs.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I have an 02 7.3 with a manual trans and an 06 with the 6.0 with an auto trans. Both trucks have been very reliable but I would rather pull my trailer with the manual trans over the auto no matter which motor they had.

Latest posts

Members online