Vibration After BTS install

cw96stroker

Reaction score
So I finally got my bts in my '01 that has been setting in the shop for quite some time now and now have a vibration. I bought the trans used off a member on here and I do think the trans is ok. The vibration is BAD from about 1500-2000 rpm under a load. So first off I have replaced hub lockers (which i was badly needing, front left would lock in on highway) carrier bearing(was needing), checked u-joints, and rebalanced tires. Still vibrates horribly going down the road under a light load at these rpms.

Now setting still I have noticed that it idles a bit rougher than it did before, and also vibrates at 1500- 2000 rpm but not near like it does going down the road. Feels very similar to bad u-joint. Vibration was not there before I took the old trans out. Im now thinking some how its something to do with the torque converter, or in that area (and I have double an triple checked the bolts and they are tight). Any Ideas?? Also tc is a precision and it came with the trans.

Thanks,

campbellflage

Reaction score
probably a long shot but could the tunes be interfering with the tc lockup depending upon what the previous owner had the trans set for his hp compared to yours?

cw96stroker

Reaction score
probably a long shot but could the tunes be interfering with the tc lockup depending upon what the previous owner had the trans set for his hp compared to yours?

Already emailed Matt @Gearhead about it a few weeks ago and he said I should be fine in the tuning aspect, or that it would not cause this.

campbellflage

Reaction score
figured it was a long shot, just throwin out an idea. have you called Brian at bts? I know you didn't buy it from them directly, but i bet they would still help you out.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Hey its fine, ideas are what I need. I have not yet called Brian but may in the future if I cant get it figured out pretty quick.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
I will call him when I have time, and I have only driven it for a few test runs. Been driving the dmax for the meantime, its too bad to even chance driving, i know something will probably break quickly!

David N

Reaction score
Is it a vibration, or the engine missing? Mine did something sorta kinda like what you're describing, and it turned out to be an injector was unplugged.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Is it a vibration, or the engine missing? Mine did something sorta kinda like what you're describing, and it turned out to be an injector was unplugged.

When it is just setting this seems like it could be a possibility, but when driving it is most definitely a horrible vibration. When I turned over 2grand (locked OD out) the vibration settled down, but in the other gears from 1500-2000 you cant tell it is still there. In OD 1500-2000 when accelerating the vibration is the worst and is horrible!! Not sure exactly what it would feel like if it was missing going down the road but surely it wouldnt be that violent of a vibration would it?

David N

Reaction score
When it is just setting this seems like it could be a possibility, but when driving it is most definitely a horrible vibration. When I turned over 2grand (locked OD out) the vibration settled down, but in the other gears from 1500-2000 you cant tell it is still there. In OD 1500-2000 when accelerating the vibration is the worst and is horrible!! Not sure exactly what it would feel like if it was missing going down the road but surely it wouldnt be that violent of a vibration would it?

Im not sure especially without being there. I will admit, mine did exactly what you're describing. But it only did it when I loaded the motor. I also had a check engine light, which I don't see where you've gotten one. So I doubt thats the issue.

I would take all the u-joints out and clean and put them back in. One could possibly be not seated correctly?

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Right I do not have the cel. I have checked them all once, and then again when I pulled the driveshaft and got the new carrier bearing put on. But it wont hurt to check again, although even at a sit still I can get it to vibrate some just not as bad as when going down the road, and it seems rpm related.

mandkole

Reaction score
^^^x2; thats exactly what I was going to ask. Engine speed or road speed? I also agree that you need to not drive it anymore. I'd have the trans back out.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Any chance you got the flex plate installed wrong?

I did not remove it from the motor, so its the same as its been since I've owned it. So I dont think its installed wrong, not unless the converter needs to be turned a certain way an then bolted to the flexplate to be balanced.?

bad12jr

Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing when my convertor bolts came loose. Does it act similar to a 12valve when you shut it down?

Maybe they bolts on the crank loosened slightly

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online