Victor Reinz Head Gasket Failures?

Myerswelder

Reaction score
I studded my truck about a year ago and used Victor Reinz gaskets that look just like the factory ford along with ARPs. I sent the heads off and had them machined, cram checked etc. I changed the oil cooler with a factory ford and my truck was already ******d. Long story short my truck is puking coolant again after about 25k miles. Is it a common thing that these are failing? I'm getting ready to pull the heads off to have them checked out and more than likely gonna get o-ringed. I'm gonna use factory ford gaskets this time as well. Can I re-use my ARPs or should I spend another 450 on a set? Any advice input would be greatly appreciated. FWIW my truck is all stock besides custom tunes and air intake. It's getting ready to get a 68, thumper 2, and injectors so I wanna get this head gasket issue solved too :fustrate:

Myerswelder

Reaction score
I torqued them 15 lbs over I believe. As far as block prep I used a green scotch Brite and brake clean on 95% of it. The spots I couldn't get off I used a wire wheel on a battery powered grinder, I didn't put any down pressure on it at all.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Not good enough... see the other thread on residue on what proper block prep is

Reaction score
I'm not sure why it's common practice to "over torque" head studs. My suggestion is to torque studs to manufacturer specs.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Use of aggressive whiz wheels on the deck surface of the block can create it's own problems. I would be looking at the BLOCK SIDE of the gaskets closely, it may not be the fault of the gasket at all.

Assuming the heads were decked and the deck surface not messed with afterward, hopefully you will see that the head side remained sealed.

Reaction score
Use of aggressive whiz wheels on the deck surface of the block can create it's own problems. I would be looking at the BLOCK SIDE of the gaskets closely, it may not be the fault of the gasket at all.

Assuming the heads were decked and the deck surface not messed with afterward, hopefully you will see that the head side remained sealed.

I've had good luck sanding the blocks with 180 grit on a DA then finishing with 320. And o rings never hurt.

Myerswelder

Reaction score
Got my heads back today finally, they decked them again and took 8 thousandths off. The machinist said it looked like my head gasket was "sliding" around. When I pulled it apart it was blown between 3 and 5 on the head side. The block side appeared to be sealed still. The black gasket part was totally gone in a few places and starting to come off in a few others.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm not sure why it's common practice to "over torque" head studs. My suggestion is to torque studs to manufacturer specs.

I ask this all the time on here and no one can ever really explain it other than "bigger is better." I don't mind people going above for their application, but many do not seem to understand why they're going above or if it's even needed. Following the stud manufacturers recommendations is best. We've seen a few on these boards snap everything from ARP's to H13's.

Latest posts

Members online