Vintage Outlaw Trailer Weight

GreenF350

Reaction score
Hey guys...just a shot in the dark. I've been looking at trailers, specifically I've been eyeballing a 40' Vintage Outlaw (gooseneck) w/12' Living Quarters up front. I was wondering if anyone had any "empty" weights for this trailer or one real similar. I am trying to figure out if I want to tow it with my SRW F-350 truck or if it's too much trailer. Thanks.
-Aaron

bad12jr

Reaction score
It should say on the title if where your buying has it. I just got a 20ft equip trailer and it had it on the right hand side.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

GreenF350

Reaction score
That's about what I was thinking. The Forest River Work and Play 38FK said 11,406# for empty weight, but I did manage to find a 40' Featherlite SURV that was about 8k#, I know their 40' empty cargo trailer is just over 5k# (They call it a 32' because they are one of the few places that only measure actual floor space). I figure the ATC SHOULD be similar in weight to the Featherlite. I'm still in the early stages of this and really hoping to keep the truck I have. I know about the data plates, but the chance of actually finding a trailer like I am looking for "in stock" at a local or even semi-local dealer is pretty slim and I am just trying to get a solid ball park figure without wasting a dealers time this early in the game since it will probably be a year or so before I am actually ready to buy.
-Aaron

bad12jr

Reaction score
Oh ok. Understandable. I'd definanlty look at some bags for the truck. Curious what axles does it have. Hard to see of my phone. 7000 I assume.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

suprhlr

Reaction score
I have a vintage 44' gooseneck w/o living quarters, empty it weighs @9k with about #3500 pin weight. With generator, tool box , air compressor, (4) spare tires, fuel jugs, etc... fully loaded with race truck it puts the pin weight @ about 5k. Trailer weight loaded is about 15k

GreenF350

Reaction score
I have a vintage 44' gooseneck w/o living quarters, empty it weighs @9k with about #3500 pin weight. With generator, tool box , air compressor, (4) spare tires, fuel jugs, etc... fully loaded with race truck it puts the pin weight @ about 5k. Trailer weight loaded is about 15k

Holy crap that is a lot more pin weight than I was thinking. I know the "Toy hauler" setups actually end up with a lower pin weight when loaded due to the weight being behind the axles, but....wow. I need to get my truck BACK on the scales and look at individual axle weights. These old trucks are pathetically rated and I am trying my best to stay within the limits, but I don't think I will officially be able to do it. I know the truck weighs 8200# with me in it and almost a full tank of gas in everyday trim and that only leaves me 1700# before I am over and that would include pin weight. How the hell are people towing around 30'+ bumper pulls that weigh 7k-10k# with half ton trucks. Pisses me off that a new F-150 with the ecoboost can be rated to tow 11,300# but my F-350 is only rated to tow 10,000#. :cursing: WTF? Ah well. Thanks for the info on the trailer. I might have to go even smaller yet and skimp on the living quarters. Worst part is I can't even just go buy a F-350 dually with the 7.3 because they are rated with the same GCWR as mine and weigh more so their capacity is actually lower than mine. :lame: Hmmmm.....decisions.
-Aaron

mandkole

Reaction score
5K on the pin? do you put the truck in all the way to the nose?

On a side note, I've been thinking more about a 38-40' er with some minor living quarters (mfgr not decided), but wondering if it will be too much for a 3/4 ton and single wheel axle. I really dont want to do a camper with a donkey dik extension to clear the camper for the tag hitch. Besides my current 28 footer already has 1000+lbs on the tongue...

GreenF350

Reaction score
5K on the pin? do you put the truck in all the way to the nose?

On a side note, I've been thinking more about a 38-40' er with some minor living quarters (mfgr not decided), but wondering if it will be too much for a 3/4 ton and single wheel axle. I really dont want to do a camper with a donkey dik extension to clear the camper for the tag hitch. Besides my current 28 footer already has 1000+lbs on the tongue...

That's pretty close to my plan and I just want to stay away from a bumper pull altogether. The fifth wheel/goosenecks just tow SO much better. Being I have a SRW 1 ton so it is pretty much identical to your 3/4 ton. It looks like I could probably do a Featherlite, but I've HEARD their quality isn't as good as it once was and they are pretty proud of their products. I need to try and look at one in person somewhere. I'm thinking any of the aluminum trailer manufacturers....Featherlite, inTech, ATC are all viable options for what I am looking for although I may have to give up a few feet.

One thing worth noting if you get to looking around, most places measure total length of the trailer, as far as I can tell Featherlite only measures floor space, not the part above the hitch so add 8' to their length to compare apples to apples.

I'm interested in what you end up finding out/deciding so feel free to post back up with anything relevant. :thumbup:

-Aaron

Jason

Reaction score
Hot damn so I was pretty close to accurate. I thought gcwr was like 21,500lbs...whatever it is...my old ccsb f250 factored out to be able to tow 12,500 by fords guide. I had twice that weight behind it a couple times, and honestly...with properly working trailer brakes and using your head/driving like you are loaded heavy...it wasn't any more difficult to stop than 21k gross. Ford factored in the "average dumbass" factor as I like to call it...keeps it safe for all skill levels when towing lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.