Want to buy

New2

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Diesel truck. I know for fact I want a ford. I prefer older trucks. When I say older I mean pre 2000 ' s . It would be towing my Bronco to and from the trails I run. Other than that it would be a daily driver. I've never owned a diesel truck before. I'm in the service and I drive the trucks and work on diesel motors literally everyday. But I know there has to be some major differences owning one that would be for a completely different purposes than what I do for work.
So with that being said I have Google what the best years are for with the F250 and F350's but I'm pretty sure all that info is just magazine companies, and shop owners perspectives. I need actual users recommendations and thoughts on what's best for me to purchase.
I am stationed in Va so obviously I know rust is a major factor I want to stay away from. But as for everyday use what's some mechanical/electrical issues and what years are most prone for issues that I need to watch for. Thanks for all the help. If there is another thread that tells all this please point me in the right direction.

1ATony

Reaction score
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here.

Tony:rockon:

jameslarsan

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a Diesel truck. I know for fact I want a ford. I prefer older trucks. When I say older I mean pre 2000 ' s . It would be towing my Bronco to and from the trails I run. Other than that it would be a daily driver. I've never owned a diesel truck before. I'm in the service and I drive the trucks and work on diesel motors literally everyday. But I know there has to be some major differences owning one that would be for a completely different purposes than what I do for work.
So with that being said I have Google what the best years are for with the F250 and F350's but I'm pretty sure all that info is just magazine companies, and shop owners perspectives. I need actual users recommendations and thoughts on what's best for me to purchase.
underwater fishing camera
I am stationed in Va so obviously I know rust is a major factor I want to stay away from. But as for everyday use what's some mechanical/electrical issues and what years are most prone for issues that I need to watch for. Thanks for all the help. If there is another thread that tells all this please point me in the right direction.
I have Google what the best years are for with the F250 and F350's however I'm almost certain all that information is simply magazine organizations, and shop holders viewpoints. I need genuine clients proposals and considerations on what's best for me to buy.

DWhite

Reaction score
Welcome and it all depends on your budget.
I used to have a 99 7.3 that I got when I started driving with 80k on it and I had it till 180k before I sold it to my dad and he uses it for a farm truck with almost 300k on it with no real issues other than normal wear and tear.. I would say in my opinion the 7.3 is one of the more reliable motors.

Reaction score
I use the truck in my sig to drag around my offroad toy. It's old and slow, but does what I need it to do. It will be getting some much needed work/upgrades over the winter. If you want something stock and just run it I'd get a first or second year super duty. You could buy a mid 90's truck but I'd suggest at least intercooling it if you're going to be towing a lot. A 7.3 is usually pretty reliable, just not the quickest thing in the world.

TCOLLINS

Reaction score
Someone correct me if im wrong,but the old 7.3 idi can be found pretty cheap,also being n/a they have higher compression,so if you slap a turbo on it and give more fuel they can rip pretty good

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Someone correct me if im wrong,but the old 7.3 idi can be found pretty cheap,also being n/a they have higher compression,so if you slap a turbo on it and give more fuel they can rip pretty good
If by rip pretty good you mean make less power than a newer stock truck and then blow up you are right!

superpsd

Reaction score

Also most of the high hp idi engines have reduced compression to run more boost and make more power reliably. The highest hp Ford idi was a full out drag race engine @ 1200ish hp built by hypermax and had like a 16:1 compression. I believe it needed ether to start and ran like **** until warmed up.

Latest posts

Members online