Wastegate

bigastrk

Reaction score
Ok I need help wrapping my head around this whole wastegate thing. I understand how to hook it up but what I am having an issue with and not understanding is......

If I am running an RG45 for a wastegate. I have a few springs and the 15 lb is the highest I have for it and also what appears to be the highest available. So if I am hooking this up to the turbo for a boost reference then to my boost controller and then to the gate does the boost pressure cause the gate to not open at the 15 lb range? Or will the gate open no matter what if I am running the 15 lb spring?

I am sure I have just made no sense at all but I am confused right now and I may have just overstepped my basic knowledge of how this stuff works. Can someone explain how the process of a wastegate works in regards to the boost and what it does to control the wastegate? Also what effect will the spring have on this whole process, or is that just used if you are not running a variable boost controller in line with the gate?

Thanks for whatever info you guys can give me.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
The 15 LB spring is to aid on top of boost. So if you wanna see no more than 65 lbs of backpressure, you regulate your boost reference to 50lbs and the spring will take care of the rest

WoodBoy

Reaction score
And as Beef taco asked, how are you hooking it up before you take info from my response LOL

bigastrk

Reaction score
As far as a boost reference I haven't gotten that far to figure out exactly were I am hooking it up yet.

My plan was to have the gate where the egr was and from there there is a variable boost controller that will be in between the boost reference point and the gate.

Also BFT I am in the process of reading your write up on PSN so hopefully it will clear some confusion if not all.

bigastrk

Reaction score
Ok sorry everyone I should have done the search on PSN first because BFT and the write up that was done on wastegate's provided a lot of information. I am starting to think that I don't need a gate right now because my boost to back pressure are almost one to one with normal driving so I may just leave it be for right now and see how it works out tuned with the camper on.

bigastrk

Reaction score
Yes everything is stock for the most part. I have no dpf and tuned by just the h&s "canned tunes". I have sitting here waiting to go on my egr delete, intercooler tube w/pro flow elbow, and intake. I have the wategate sitting here and figured I might as well put it in but with the way the truck runs now I might not do the gate and just put the block off plate in.

I want to put these turbo's that I have sitting here on it but I don't think I will be able to tow with it but then again finding a reliable fuel system that works up here in our extreme cold is proving to be challenging to say the least.

Its an 08 F450 with 4.30's if that makes any difference.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
http://www.heatline.com/transport.htm

12v heat wire

they freeze, because there is no heater on them. you need to add one. they way they are set up, i doubt you could get one internal, but a 12v heat wire, would heat it externally.

the 12v one could be used with the truck in motion, if you felt you neded it, and if oyu also got a 110 version, you could probably either splice into the block heater wire, or just run another plug to the front, and when you plug in the truck at night, you would also plug in a fuel heater.

this should prevent the freezing your having.

im assuming that you guys have issues with it freezing the filter, and inside the pump, not inside the lines between the tank and fass, and from the fass to the motor.

either way you could just get a longer heat wire, and wrap the entire thing if needed.

bigastrk

Reaction score
http://www.heatline.com/transport.htm

12v heat wire

they freeze, because there is no heater on them. you need to add one. they way they are set up, i doubt you could get one internal, but a 12v heat wire, would heat it externally.

the 12v one could be used with the truck in motion, if you felt you neded it, and if oyu also got a 110 version, you could probably either splice into the block heater wire, or just run another plug to the front, and when you plug in the truck at night, you would also plug in a fuel heater.

this should prevent the freezing your having.

im assuming that you guys have issues with it freezing the filter, and inside the pump, not inside the lines between the tank and fass, and from the fass to the motor.

either way you could just get a longer heat wire, and wrap the entire thing if needed.

That's a good idea. We have been thinking about trying to use coolant and so forth but for some reason never thought about doing this. Yes we have problems with the filter and housing. Thank you.