Water and oil in the cold side pipe

Cak301

Reaction score
Took the cold side pipe off tonight to find water and oil mixture in there. Pretty sure it isn't coolant because the water drops that were in there are clear and taste like water. Seems to be a lot of it like a good layer at the bottom coming out if the intercooler. No oil or water in the hot side or in the air filter. Thought it might be from the zoodad mod, the pressure washing and the rain last night but with the air filter isbone bone dry so I don't think so. Egr valve and intake were moist. What would cause so much moisture. Seems like way too much to be condensation. Hole in my intercooler maybe but I wouldn't think water would get in there since it is always under pressure.

Cak301

Reaction score
That's why I figured it couldn't be a hole in the intercooler. It would be pretty hard for water to get in when air is going out the hole.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
when the egr cooler is leaking the tubes will look like that. its the excess coolant, doesnt evaporate as quickly as just plain water. the moisture is recirculated by the ccv system. the other way it could look like that is if the engine never gets up to full operating temp, that will cause moisture too. it probably has more to do with the cooler leaking though.

Cak301

Reaction score
Its not coolant. I left the pipe sitting outside last night and the moisture froze. It only got down to 25 degrees. Last time I drove it was for about 45it minutes.

Nic

Reaction score
Not sure how water could have got in there..you check your oil? If the oil isn't milky looking, your coolant doesn't have oil in it and you don't have a coolant leak, I'd tighten all of your CAC boots and do a CCV re-route.

Cak301

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. I stopped by tousley ford today and picked up a metal cold side pipe so I can ditch the crappy plastic one. I don't have any coolant in the oil or oil in coolant. I wouldn't have really worried about it if it was just a little but there was a puddle in the bottom of the cac pipe at the intercooler and the whole pipe had a coating inside of it. Kind of wondering how much is sitting in the intercooler. Is there any effective way to clean it out.

Nic

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned with cleaning out the inter cooler. Definitely tightened all boots up and do the reroute for sure. That will stop the oil from getting in there. I would take some brake parts cleaner and clean both CAC tubes though while you have it apart, clean the boots, do the reroute and tighten everything back up, drive it for another week and then break it loose and go for another visual.

Latest posts

Members online