Water Injection Fail!

Blowby

Reaction score
Just wanted to post the transition from my first attempt to deliver water to the race truck.
I kept thinking the 200/250 pumps would really work at high boost but with my data logging the EGT's it was a disappointing failure.
DSC00024.jpg

I was thinking two pumps, with each feeding 2 jets small in size, would keep the atomization to a level that would show lower temps.
Old_Dual-1.jpg

It was a slight success if I used a 30% mix of methanol but I did not wanted to rely on a "best guess" to control the ignition of my fuel.
I also was not able to create a fine enough mist to eliminate condensation on the tube wall which would then form larger droplets and drip into the center cylinders at a higher concentration.

Next step was to pick up a pump that will produce over 1000 psi which I traded Steve at TTS for prototyping stuff last year.
I then decided that to eliminate any high amp draw on the electrical system I needed to separate with it's own battery.
Now to utilize the new capacity and recharge without anything to remember to turn off or on during the rounds of a racing event.
3-6-12_003.jpg

Now adding the charging pieces to the puzzle. Just need one switch and I'm done.
I did add an inline pressure pop off valve that will open form 90-250 psi based on the springs and shims I choose.
I doubled my safety with jets that have their own spring loaded shut off in the holders for added protection.
3-6-12_011.jpg

I'll soon find out if I will be able to control the pressure behind the jets I choose.
Pressure will change as the size changes and I can accomplish the control with the regulator (upper right) and the pressure gauge to verify psi.
Of course with the jets installed on the end of the lines while I spray to atmosphere.

;)

Last edited:

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Sweet setup! I have always been concerned Doing w/m as our manifolds are not designed for a wet mixture at all and Im afraid of a big puddle LOL

Blowby

Reaction score
Tested it out tonight with two 300cc nozzles. I have it setup to use 4 nozzles if needed but only started with two small ones for the first run. Atomization was great and the cooling was pretty good about 150-175 based on the hole size. I was pushing the water at about 950psi and barley used any. The system seems to hold about a gallon and a half so I should have the capacity for more passes than needed at an event. The 32 oz plastic tank will be filled and my method to keep the pump reservoir topped off. Just need one more switch for the throttle to separate the batteries during a run.

Powersmoker

Reaction score
Tested it out tonight with two 300cc nozzles. I have it setup to use 4 nozzles if needed but only started with two small ones for the first run. Atomization was great and the cooling was pretty good about 150-175 based on the hole size. I was pushing the water at about 950psi and barley used any. The system seems to hold about a gallon and a half so I should have the capacity for more passes than needed at an event. The 32 oz plastic tank will be filled and my method to keep the pump reservoir topped off. Just need one more switch for the throttle to separate the batteries during a run.
awesome! You coming to TS Mike?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Blowby

Reaction score
Based on some testing and setting pressure the battery would drop to about 9v while running for 10 seconds. Start point of battery voltage was 12.8v and after the first computer simulated run the voltage settled to 12.5v. After second run 12.3v and third run about 12.0v. I also noticed that as the voltage dropped during the run from 12ish to 9ish the pressure also went from 1000psi at the initial start to a slow creep down to about 850 at the 9 second mark. Just an FYI.

Brian, I will see based on my work schedule if I make it to TS.
80% positive outlook at this point since the German software company has not posted the May on site training dates for 2012.

Blowby

Reaction score
Finished the WI but ran into a snag, delay. I set the charging system to charge all three batteries with the switch in the on position and cut the system to the OEM on one side and the WI and stand alone battery on the other when the snap switch is activated (NOS on and Charging off). I forgot the pump is using steel braided lines to the motor and I hard wired it for a positive charge.

No problem it still works correctly for the indicator light on the switch so it's installed properly but I just need to break the power. I will add another relay that breaks the power when the WOT switch activates the same ground disconnect wire.

• BTW: Battery would come back up to 12.8v after a hard run in 2-3 min. By the time I return to the pits and let the truck idle while cooling it will be back up to power guaranteed.
3 of the 4 ports used off the manifold (top of picture, black). 1 pre HP turbo and 2 after:
3-29-12_031.jpg

Snap Switch for NOS and WI:
3-29-12_027.jpg

Complete WI system in an AFE air filter compartment:
3-29-12_029.jpg

Final temp drop running my fuel only tune was about 300+ degrees, so it was worth the time and effort :D

Last edited:

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Really nice puts any off the shelf kit to shame. How much did all the parts run you if you don't mind me asking. Also just water or do you spray water/meth mix?

Blowby

Reaction score
Probably $450 in parts and lines, not counting the cost of the pump since I traded for that or the battery. I only run water with Napa Mac 1300 and Cutting Fluid to lube the pump. Still figuring out the dilution mixture on the oils. Started out with 2oz of each to one gallon of distilled water. Now at 1.5 oz each to one gallon.

Tom S

Reaction score
I was worried that battery might not have enough snuff but it seems to be pretty darn strong for it's size.

Blowby

Reaction score
Ran it tonight with a few changes on the controller and fueling / timing adjustments in the tuning and gained 5 psi boost to hold at 75 psi and dropped another 100 degrees in egt's. Peaked at 1532 egt's off the line as boost was building and settled at about 1445 egt's at full boost which commanded the controller to activate 100% DC on the Haldex pump. I estimate I'll consume about 28-32 oz's on a typical 1/4 mile run.

Blowby

Reaction score
I picked it up from Steve at TTS so I don't have the actual part number for the complete unit. The motor does have a part number - 2201094

Latest posts

Members online