Water pump and thermostat questions

f350guy

Reaction score
Apparently Gates (PN 42025) makes a replacement water pump with a stamped steel impeller versus the plastic OE.

I am thinking of swapping it on while doing the belts/idlers/tensioners here since access would be the easiest. Current price is $61 only on Rockauto.

Anyone out there run it?

Lastly, I swear I read somewhere the 6.4 thermostats have been updated. My truck is a Job 2, '09...but came with the early style radiator hoses and expansion tank. If the stats have been upgraded, does anyone have a photograph of the old versus the new? Or should I not even dick around and just buy a new set of stats, they are sub $20.

Thanks!

Rubenk

Reaction score
If you buy new stats they should be the most up to date. I'd buy new ones if you're already in there, same with hoses.

Autonation (Tousley) Ford is where I sourced all my OEM stuff.

f350guy

Reaction score
Yah good call, screw it. I will just order a new pair.

Agreed on the hoses, that is also on the list with the late expansion tank.

f350guy

Reaction score
Well the water pump I received has a plastic impeller. So now I get to deal with returning the damned thing. Unless I just received old stock, so I will have to call Gates too.

The tensioners are reboxed Ford with China bearings, not good...unless someone can tell me who makes the OE bearings. NSK?

Idlers are reboxed Ford I believe also as they are made in Canada and use NSK bearings.

Lastly, do just the white ends of the three radiator hoses have the dual o-rings?

Thanks

Shane1139

Reaction score
The original thermostats are part number rt1212. It comes in a kit of two with a gasket. Forbidden Diesel sells them on eBay. One thermostat is slightly longer then the other.

f350guy

Reaction score
Idlers are both equipped with NSK bearings which is a Japanese company (and box has Made in Canada printed upon it... so probably reboxed Ford). NTK (also Japanese) is what is on the tensioner bearing per Sunrise Ford and where I ordered them with better bearings.

A big thank you to Ralph at Sunrise for pulling stock and checking for me.

Also called Bulletproof Diesel, they are planning to once again reintroduce the 6.4 water pump with the metal impeller. So the one I ordered is going back and I will just wait on upgrading that.

The Gates radiator hoses are the dual o-ring units as well as the thermostats look good, with one longer than the other. Thanks for the heads up on that, Shane1139.

Soon I will have an updated cooling system and new belt drive. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.