Water pump differences

TjMiller

Reaction score
In addition to the radiator I need to figure what water pump to use. I was hoping to use the cast iron pump w/ filter. Not sure that will work in my case but I saw the early (94-5)pumps have the return neck cast as part of the pump instead of the removable tin tube. Seems like that would be the way to go if the early pump will interchange.

79jasper

Reaction score
Wrong. Early trucks the return neck (aka thermostat housing lol) is for sure removable. If you're talking about the lower outlet neck, it doesn't make a difference. I went from a removable to solid cast one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
Oh yeah, if you are needing a radiator also.
Our trucks (94.5) still have the idi radiator. There's a Rodney red and another company that have good ones.
But mishimoto has the new model for 95+ for a great price. But you have to swap to the new style coolant tank.

TjMiller

Reaction score
Wrong. Early trucks the return neck (aka thermostat housing lol) is for sure removable. If you're talking about the lower outlet neck, it doesn't make a difference. I went from a removable to solid cast one.

Oh ok. I guess it depends on how you look at it. Coolant returns to the water pump through the lower- returns to the radiator through the t-stat. So they are both returns, right?

But yes I was referring to the lower neck on the water pump. I cant see how the bolt on lower tube would be better(unless the internals are somehow different). I would rather use the early design if it will interchange with my later 98'.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.