Water pump leaking

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
My water pump is 8000 miles old and is leaking quite a bit. :doh: What gives? Just a bad pump? Its OEM, I got it from Riffraff.

It dumped out a lot of the coolant last night so I had to fill it with water this morning to find the leak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A44BK72orTE

I did have a hose blow out recently and lost all my coolant. I didnt run long before noticing the gauge was on H and immediately shut it off. I filled it with water that I had with me to get me home. Could that have damaged the pump enough?

Last edited:

Zaairman

Reaction score
I can't tell in the video, is it coming from the weep hole on the pump or is it coming from around the pump itself?

TARM

Reaction score
Likely from running it dry for that period would be my guess. Or you could have just gotten a one with bad seals or bearings. I prefer the IH pumps myself. Takes a few extra steps to install but IMO worth it.

caladash

Reaction score
Likely from running it dry for that period would be my guess. Or you could have just gotten a one with bad seals or bearings. I prefer the IH pumps myself. Takes a few extra steps to install but IMO worth it.

Is there a preferred place to get said pump?

TARM

Reaction score
IMO not really. I got it mine from that IH T444E pump site http://international-t444e-water-pump.com/ But I do not have a ton of miles on it yet. They seem to have a good rep though. There is just so much to like about the IH pump built in bypass filter, cast iron vs alum, tons of t-stat temps ranges to pick from, heater hose port not in front of the HPOP window, no galling issues.

TyCorr

Reaction score
IMO not really. I got it mine from that IH T444E pump site http://international-t444e-water-pump.com/ But I do not have a ton of miles on it yet. They seem to have a good rep though. There is just so much to like about the IH pump built in bypass filter, cast iron vs alum, tons of t-stat temps ranges to pick from, heater hose port not in front of the HPOP window, no galling issues.

As long as you don't have dual alternator. Other wise SOL.

TARM

Reaction score
Correct.

Also do not bother with the cummins lower hose on super duties. It does not fit. OBS yes SD no. Get a flex hose and then use a small section of the original hose as bushing for the rad port. Thats it as far as anything unexpected goes.

I have to admit the last month I have been enjoying myself by upgrading and tweaking anything I can find that a lower cost item.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Correct.

Also do not bother with the cummins lower hose on super duties. It does not fit. OBS yes SD no. Get a flex hose and then use a small section of the original hose as bushing for the rad port. Thats it as far as anything unexpected goes.

I have to admit the last month I have been enjoying myself by upgrading and tweaking anything I can find that a lower cost item.

You talking the flexible rubber hose? Pictures?

TARM

Reaction score
Yep that is the one to use. Sorry no pic but its the same one that has been seen in a number of photos in other threads and forums. IIRC it a 3 1/4" flex hose. Basically you need the size that fits the IH pump and then you have to cut your standard old Ford hose to use a piece as a bushing to make up for the larger hose size where it connects to the radiator.

I did this but then to make double sure I add Ford RTV Grey between one the outside of the bushing so there would be no doubt of a seal between the two.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yep that is the one to use. Sorry no pic but its the same one that has been seen in a number of photos in other threads and forums. IIRC it a 3 1/4" flex hose. Basically you need the size that fits the IH pump and then you have to cut your standard old Ford hose to use a piece as a bushing to make up for the larger hose size where it connects to the radiator.

I did this but then to make double sure I add Ford RTV Grey between one the outside of the bushing so there would be no doubt of a seal between the two.

Got ya. I was going to use that and son body said nothing body uses that stuff since he 70s.

I hope that pump gets it done for ya.

TARM

Reaction score
Oh it looks good. I had a bunch of other upgrades I was doing and only this week have gotten everything almost wrapped up to where I can start her up. I just picked up the CAT ELC antifreeze to fill it back up. The upgrade to the hypermax IC requires some rerouting and movement of piping and boots. New higher quailty Tbolt clamps etc....

Its one of those things.......The more you tear into stuff and start upgrading the more things you find that you would like to upgrade or tweak etc. You there installing something and looking around it gets you thinking...ya know why I am in here with this all out maybe I should go ahead and install or replace.................. Those dots never seem to end for me LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh it looks good. I had a bunch of other upgrades I was doing and only this week have gotten everything almost wrapped up to where I can start her up. I just picked up the CAT ELC antifreeze to fill it back up. The upgrade to the hypermax IC requires some rerouting and movement of piping and boots. New higher quailty Tbolt clamps etc....

Its one of those things.......The more you tear into stuff and start upgrading the more things you find that you would like to upgrade or tweak etc. You there installing something and looking around it gets you thinking...ya know why I am in here with this all out maybe I should go ahead and install or replace.................. Those dots never seem to end for me LOL

I hear ya! If I was working good hours on iron I'd have probably spent a new trucks worth on my old truck already. I'm in mine for the long haul anyway so no hurries.

I'm just glad I don't need my truck right now.

Freightshaker

Reaction score

What temp stat do you run? 203 or 205
Here is my pump back when I did it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347893058.386752.jpg
Pretty simple job.

TyCorr

Reaction score
What temp stat do you run? 203 or 205
Here is my pump back when I did it.
View attachment 9557
Pretty simple job.

I don't really wanna speak for Tarm but I believe he used the 195 I sent him that I got at international. In a previous thread we discussed the reasons for.NOT using the 203+ tstats. Not that it'll hurt any. Just a little warm! :)

TARM

Reaction score
Yep I used the 195° but if I had my choice I would use the 203°. I think I have a very good handle on how these systems function and the how and whys of most of it. I do think many have gotten bad info or have misgivings on how these system work or they understand them but maybe do not understand what temps are ideal. I am sure there are many that understand this stuff as well and better than I on here. But I can say that if you are seeing oil temps beyond 15 degrees of coolant temps even under heavy loads if they are consistent the oil cooler should be suspect. This is a general statement and there are exceptions.

I can leave it as the 203 is better and the only reason is was changed by Ford was because the EPA required lower NOX emissions and the other choice was to add a many times more costly catalytic converter to the exhaust or worse yet a EGR system. This small cost allowed them a good run of years without having to deal with more costly emissions until the 6.0L was manf.

• Hot engines are more fuel efficient and make more power.
  • Even fuel is better as somewhat warmer temps i.e. 100°-120° before injection into the chamber.
  • Oil does not reach its rated properties until 212°
  • Oil temps fall below 195° engine wear increase at a increased rate in ratio with that of the oil temp drop.

If anyone is interested in the details of the hows and whys I can go into it. I personally found it very interesting way back when I first looked into it.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Very interesting... Im running an OEM temp thermostat for now and my friend keeps talking about a cooler one but I'm trying to explain to him that its NOT good. And Im not a fan of the 203 either myself..

TARM

Reaction score
Maybe a little but of course is there is anything with the pump that needs to be discussed to be helpful we can and will be right back on topic.

I recall them doing a engine dyno test and when they reduced engine temps from 195 or it may have been 200 down to 185 they lost 4 HP and fuel mpg as well. I will see if I can dig it up. It was some testing lab university thing dealing with emissions and fuel efficiency power study. Think about it as long as the oil can handle the temp and the engine parts can handle the temp hotter is better. Of course there is a limit but we are well within those with what we are talking about.

I can go into further but it will need to get a bit lengthy.

GreenF350

Reaction score
Maybe a little but of course is there is anything with the pump that needs to be discussed to be helpful we can and will be right back on topic.

I recall them doing a engine dyno test and when they reduced engine temps from 195 or it may have been 200 down to 185 they lost 4 HP and fuel mpg as well. I will see if I can dig it up. It was some testing lab university thing dealing with emissions and fuel efficiency power study. Think about it as long as the oil can handle the temp and the engine parts can handle the temp hotter is better. Of course there is a limit but we are well within those with what we are talking about.

I can go into further but it will need to get a bit lengthy.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I love a good read. Sometimes I even learn something! Haha! This is where the good information comes from. If oh don't mind typing it out, I'll take the time to read it for sure. I've often debated the 203 thermostat and so far have stuck with the 195. Maybe you can talk me into switching.
-Aaron

Latest posts

Members online