Water pump replaced now new issue

Wingnut

Reaction score
Replaced the water pump and the idlers and the belts while I has there. Get everything buttoned up and fill it up and now no heat and if I drive it it gets hot but I will cool down if left idle. First question this is a ford pump could I have the wrong pump? Im thinking its an air bubble in the system. 6k ago when I had the cab off I changed the coolant and didnt have a bit of problem with it then. Any way to bleed this without a rad vac?
Sent from the cookie sheet...

Wingnut

Reaction score
New thermostats. Vacuumed and filled the cooling system. Still same problem

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Feel your heater core inlet and outlet hoses. Is one HOT and one COLD?

How about the rad hoses? Hot/Cold?

What's your ECT doing when this goes on?

Wingnut

Reaction score
No hot or cold on the heater hoses. Like nothing is going through it. Upper rad hose gets warm but rad is ice cold. Acts to me like the new pump is not working

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I'd get to pulling that pump back out and taking a look. Make sure the impeller turns with the shaft, compare it to the old pump, maybe someone put it together wrong when it was built (the pump I mean)

Wingnut

Reaction score
Well I already pulled it and your right. It was assembled about 1/16 to long so when I warmed up the impeller would rub on the housing and the impeller now spins freely on the shaft. Bought a ford pump cause I figured it would be better...

Wingnut

Reaction score
Its back up and running. Ford got me a new pump but that was all they would do...

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I would have mentioned they're lucky they aren't replacing your torched motor.

I'm pretty floored that quality is becoming this way.

Likely a new pump also, or was it a reman? If the part number ended in -RM it was reman.

Wingnut

Reaction score
I would have to look up the invoice for the first one but the one I just put in is a new one.

I watch my coolant temps on my mini max pretty close and this is how I caught the problem. At first everything seemed to be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.