Weird HPOP pressure problem

bigwheel

Reaction score
I do understand the fuel thing but not only making 2200 psi at the stab of the peddle. That is why I was thinking IPR.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Did you take a good look at the nozzles when you had the injectors out?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I do understand the fuel thing but not only making 2200 psi at the stab of the peddle. That is why I was thinking IPR.

That could be caused by bad injectors. If you are getting a lot of white "fuel" smoke at idle - then you have a fuel leak into the engine - either by a leak through the injector, or around the injector.

bigwheel

Reaction score
It seemed like when I looked at the nozzles they looked good before I put them back in.

I will try to some how get a video to post up of the smoke at first start. If I did have a bad injector that is leaking fuel could that cause the HPOP to maybe built to 2200? Thanks

Tom S

Reaction score
Jason his truck does not smoke at idle warmed up from what I remember maybe just a tad hazy but it has the eye water effect.

bigwheel

Reaction score
Ok the truck doesn't really smoke white at idle unless it is cold. When cold there is a strong fuel smell and once warmed up still good fuel smell no smoke.

I have some though for you guys since I last talked to Tom. I bought these injectors from a guy I know and his truck was having a lot of the same issues. He ended up putting his truck back to stock and was just thinking it was the HPOP. So I figured I would buy these injectors off of him and put them in my truck. Well that is where I am getting the same issues that he was now in my truck. The injectors that were ordered were Stage 2 160/80. Could these buy chance be a larger injector and not the one that were ordered? You hit a little more peddle there is a ton of black smoke and pulling 3K there is always a hase coming off. We have used 3 different tuners all setting for 160/80's all doing about the samething. Just wondering if these are larger injectors then order maybe a mix up of orders?

bigwheel

Reaction score
So I worked on swaping out the IPR last night to one that is used but came out of another running truck. Once I got it swaped I checked the HPOP level which was low so I put in about a 1qt of oil, seemed like a lot. Can you over fill them?
So after I thought it might be close to full I tried to start the truck. After a few trys the truck didn't sound like it was wanting to start. Hook up the code reader to find alot of them.

KOEO found:
P1280- Injector control pressure sensor circuit low
P0472- Exhaust Pressure sensor low input
P0198- Engine air temp sensor high input
P1119- Manifold ait temp circuit high input
P0380- Glowplug heater circuit A
P1212- Injector control pressure not at expected level
P0640- Intake air heater control circuit

So I am thinking that it might not be picking up the IPR or the ICP might be bad now. Might try switching back out to the old IPR and see if there is a change. Any thoughts?

CurtisF

Reaction score
Try cranking a few more times, and crank for about 10-15 seconds at a time.

Also you can't really overfill the HPOP reservoir per se. Any extra oil will simply drain into the oil pan, in which case you'll overfill the crankcase if you keep adding more and more.

Tom S

Reaction score
So I worked on swaping out the IPR last night to one that is used but came out of another running truck. Once I got it swaped I checked the HPOP level which was low so I put in about a 1qt of oil, seemed like a lot. Can you over fill them?
So after I thought it might be close to full I tried to start the truck. After a few trys the truck didn't sound like it was wanting to start. Hook up the code reader to find alot of them.

KOEO found:
P1280- Injector control pressure sensor circuit low
P0472- Exhaust Pressure sensor low input
P0198- Engine air temp sensor high input
P1119- Manifold ait temp circuit high input
P0380- Glowplug heater circuit A
P1212- Injector control pressure not at expected level
P0640- Intake air heater control circuit

So I am thinking that it might not be picking up the IPR or the ICP might be bad now. Might try switching back out to the old IPR and see if there is a change. Any thoughts?

I did not research this but the red one looks to me like it means the PCM does not see the IPR. I would just swap the solenoids on it and try it not the whole IPR. I would also research the glowplug code.

After reading the post above that the previous owner of these injector was having the same issues I think you answered your question more then likely. At a minimum I would be pulling those injectors and sending them off. I would also be considering a different set esp with what you want your truck for like we talked about on the phone.

bigwheel

Reaction score
Got the truck running again last night with the org. IPR that came in the truck. So I juess the one I thought was good was bad. I think I am going to try to get with curtis soon and see if we can do some new programing, and go from there. Any other ideas of thing to check?

TARM

Reaction score
Posted by Bigwheel:

I think I am going to try to get with curtis soon and see if we can do some new programing, and go from there. Any other ideas of thing to check?

The injectors as Tom has been saying should be THE first thing at this point. To do ANYTHING else, such as tuning etc..., is likely going to be a futile attempt to minimize the neg effects of something gone wrong in an injector/s. Think about it. In another truck same issues. You move the injectors to your truck and wow same issue pops up. The issue is following the injectors and is the common link. That is very likely where the issue is. Pull them and send them off to your injector builder of choice.

Then work on that glow plug code. Since you will be in there pull and check them. I actually put power to them as well as the norm becasue I have had them ohm out before and still not heat up when power was put to them.

CurtisF

Reaction score
Just to give an update:

Kevin left my house a few minutes ago with some new tuning. This go round we were able to spend quite a bit more time working on the tuning and checking out how his truck runs. Looks like we've got the idle situated much better, no more eye watering fumes out the tailpipe.

Overall it runs and drives good. The issues we have pinpointed are with the HPOP and the transmission. The HPOP just simply can't keep up. Even after some considerable fueling pulled way back, it's still working to try and keep up. At least the whole "fall flat on it's face" feeling is mitigated quite a bit, but certainly not getting the full potential out of those injectors.

EGT's are lower.... much lower.

As for the transmission, it's hurting. He's got almost 150K miles on the stock trans, and it's not liking the extra power out of the Stage II injectors.

Overall it's running nice as a daily driver. Kevin will probably update us later on how it runs as he continues to drive it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Just to give an update:

Kevin left my house a few minutes ago with some new tuning. This go round we were able to spend quite a bit more time working on the tuning and checking out how his truck runs. Looks like we've got the idle situated much better, no more eye watering fumes out the tailpipe.

Overall it runs and drives good. The issues we have pinpointed are with the HPOP and the transmission. The HPOP just simply can't keep up. Even after some considerable fueling pulled way back, it's still working to try and keep up. At least the whole "fall flat on it's face" feeling is mitigated quite a bit, but certainly not getting the full potential out of those injectors.

EGT's are lower.... much lower.

As for the transmission, it's hurting. He's got almost 150K miles on the stock trans, and it's not liking the extra power out of the Stage II injectors.

Overall it's running nice as a daily driver. Kevin will probably update us later on how it runs as he continues to drive it.

Thats weird on the HPOP. I have no issues on a stock 17* with I believe you said same injectors and tunes (were).

bigwheel

Reaction score
Hey thanks Curtis for working with me on Sunday. I think we made some get head way with working for what we have. The truck runs much better. I think the EGTs are much cooler. It was some hard driving coming back down with a very strong head wind the whole way, mixed with some good snow driving. So that was hard to really test the truck, but never got over 1100 so that good. I will post back after I drive it a little more DD. Thanks again for your help.

I juess I will be looking for a new hpop.

Latest posts

Members online