Weird shift in the steering

bigaF250

Reaction score
If mine keeps getting worse I'm just going to throw a reman on and see what it changes. I can't figure anything else out and I think mine is getting to the point where even warmed up its doing it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bigaF250

Reaction score
$110 and up for other brands and $200 for motorcraft brand. If I recall correctly it is down just above and inside the frame rail on the drivers side. Not entirely a fun spot but doable

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Well were putting a pump in it this week. I'll know how it runs by the weekend at the latest. My Ford tech Buddy said the pump makes sense if I'm sitting still and the tires won't turn left or right, but said the steering gear could be to blame for the side to side jerking. Trying the pump first. I'll report back.

KYkickinit

Reaction score
I sheared the pieman arm dowel on my gearbox yesterday. Got a parts house special from a buddy at aap and boom the jerking is gone and steering is ridiculously tight.

laingenb

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing but the steering wheel has a lot of slop also. I'm thinking oust going to be the steering box and not the pump itself. But curious what you guys find out!

KYkickinit

Reaction score
Stopped luckily. I started the truck and put it in drive to leave for lunch and heard a loud pop get out to inspect and my pitman arm is laying on the ground.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Were thinking if the pump was good, Ide be able to turn the wheels back and forth while sitting still. When im rolling and turn the wheels its as smooth as can be. Seems like a bad pump and good box to me.. Quits acting up when its good and warmed up..

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
My ford tech buddy says there is a check valve inside the power steering pump that controls the flow. Would make sense that sometimes the steering works fine and other times not. Im thinking it only acts up when the check valve gets stuck. Also makes sense that cruising down the road that the check valve working then sticking then working again and back and forth like that could cause the truck to jerk left and right as the fluid starts and stops...New pump going in tomorrow night, ill update this weekend.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
New pump did not fix the problem! New steering gear goin in this week.. stupid truck.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
See my post in the 6.4 aftermarket section for an update.. More traffic in there then here lol.

Latest posts

Members online