well almost killed myself at the track today..

Reaction score
Well boys went to the track to run some times and lets just say a s472+4000rpm+ bf Goodrich rough terrain tires and 2wd caused an almost somewhat end to me truck.. I know my tires have less than 10% left and I left the line at around 2000rpm and around 5psi. Truck started spinning and continue to spin until I let off.. Got on it again and one I went wot the truck violently slid left and I just saw the concrete barrier.. Spun like 3 times and I came to rest right next to the wall.. Never less..****

So I'm not looking for all time wheels because I love the sleeper look my truck but what's good wheels that can take launches and runs down the strip..?

Someone told me all out slicks but I don't know what wheels will use drag slicks.. I need advice guy thanks! :tree:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
going to a 17 inch really wide wheel and a m&h slick is your best bet, as well, as some traction mods like cal tracs, removed leafs ect.

Reaction score
So 17 by 12 inch wheel probably? And I got ouo trac bars and that's it.. Lol

Doesn't matter what the wheel looks like since these are only gonna be put on at the track.. and when I get my daily driver I plan to go all out with this truck so the leaf springs will be a later mod..

Reaction score
I wanna video! Man I wish I knew how to function a go pro and at least have a couple of guys I knew recording me! Lol.. I'm praying there's a video somewhere and it'll pop up.:badidea:

So back to wheels... What do I get? Stock 3.73 axle it's a 250 and it's at stock 2wd height.. Give me a rim and tire combo.. That's what I need help with lol:joy:

alradco

Reaction score
Glad you saved it. Buddy of mine flipped his car at the track when he got back into after he got loose. How much does your truck weigh? I would probably look at a M/T drag radial before going to slick, seems like it would be much more stable.

Peter

Dzchey21

Reaction score
You will still be a bit limited what you can do with the rear on stock leafs but there is a way to set them up properly but you also have to be careful to be super consistent on the launch to ensure the spin doesn't happen again. What type of traction bar are you running? Typically a Cal trac works the best for 2wd.

You can't run a cheater slick on a 16 inch wheel without spacer and caliber grinding. You are pretty well stuck to a drag radial on a 17 inch wheel. You also need to be sure to get the right 17 to clear the calipers or go with an 18 but I don't think tire options are as good.

Nothing wrong with 2wd just takes way more effort to set up

Reaction score
Glad you saved it. Buddy of mine flipped his car at the track when he got back into after he got loose. How much does your truck weigh? I would probably look at a M/T drag radial before going to slick, seems like it would be much more stable.

Peter
I weighted in at 8000 full weight and it's an extended cab. Was a scary ride but I'm just glad I didn't lose my truck.. I'm thinking of trying to find a soild axle front end and maybe just do a 4wd conversion.. But is it just simply plug and play? I know you need a transfer case and a front axle but what else? Stabilizing arm? Am I going to need a new PCM to say its 4wd?

Reaction score
You will still be a bit limited what you can do with the rear on stock leafs but there is a way to set them up properly but you also have to be careful to be super consistent on the launch to ensure the spin doesn't happen again. What type of traction bar are you running? Typically a Cal trac works the best for 2wd.

You can't run a cheater slick on a 16 inch wheel without spacer and caliber grinding. You are pretty well stuck to a drag radial on a 17 inch wheel. You also need to be sure to get the right 17 to clear the calipers or go with an 18 but I don't think tire options are as good.

Nothing wrong with 2wd just takes way more effort to set up
I'm running one up off-road traction bars.. Maybe not the best but it keeps the tranny happy.
I understand with the whole well what If it's to deep or what if it touches the brake calipers.. So idk.. I could have sworn I saw a crew cab 7.3 with stock rear suspension and some drag slicks in the back but idk who posted it... It was awhile ago

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I'm running one up off-road traction bars.. Maybe not the best but it keeps the tranny happy.
I understand with the whole well what If it's to deep or what if it touches the brake calipers.. So idk.. I could have sworn I saw a crew cab 7.3 with stock rear suspension and some drag slicks in the back but idk who posted it... It was awhile ago

When it comes to those bars they really are the best .Cal tracs will load it and maybe help it hook.. but the 2 fastest 6.4s are running OUO's, so I really wouldnt worry about it

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I weighted in at 8000 full weight and it's an extended cab. Was a scary ride but I'm just glad I didn't lose my truck.. I'm thinking of trying to find a soild axle front end and maybe just do a 4wd conversion.. But is it just simply plug and play? I know you need a transfer case and a front axle but what else? Stabilizing arm? Am I going to need a new PCM to say its 4wd?

PCM doesn't have to know... a manual transfer case will make things easy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.