Well crap, Red truck

Dalpilot

Reaction score
:wtf:

Driving down the road Saturday pulling into a house I am looking at and the truck acts like it is dying and running out of fuel. It dies and coast to a stop in front of the house I am thinking of buying, (maybe its a sign). Anyway try all the usual tricks, its got Fuel pressure, Ficm volts 48, 48 when cranking, Jiggle wires, (hey it works sometimes). Have it towed to the house and run diagnostics. No codes except crank sensor, (normal since it died). IPR at 85% ICP reading a VERY slow rise to 411, :doh:. Check IPR harness and it has a bare spot. Figure Might as well change the IPR also while I am back there. New pigtail and new Ipr. Nothing, just cranks and build pressure SLOW.

Loaded on the tow truck this morning. Looks like I have an Hpop bad or more likely a leak in the system. Send it to my shop and let Jeff deal with it. :thumbup: I don't think its the Hpop, (stock) because it build steady pressure just not enough. :fordoval: 6.0:doh:

DMAX

Reaction score
Does the new IPR duty cycle stop at 85% also? What year truck is it?

Mdub707

Reaction score
IPR Duty cycle is pretty high...

did you try just unplugging the ICP sensor and starting it? It would really be able to drive down the road like this, but might get it fired.

Does sound more like a high pressure oil leak though.

DMAX

Reaction score
IPR Duty cycle is pretty high...

did you try just unplugging the ICP sensor and starting it? It would really be able to drive down the road like this, but might get it fired.

Does sound more like a high pressure oil leak though.

His IPR Duty cycle is high because his high pressure oil is 400psi. If his HPO was 10x that and the truck started it would open up to 30-50%. If you have the proper tools to command the IPR to close 100% you can use shop air and charge the HPO system and if you hear alot of air in the crankcase you have a HPO system leak

-Eric

windrunner408

Reaction score
His IPR Duty cycle is high because his high pressure oil is 400psi. If his HPO was 10x that and the truck started it would open up to 30-50%. If you have the proper tools to command the IPR to close 100% you can use shop air and charge the HPO system and if you hear alot of air in the crankcase you have a HPO system leak.

FWIW the shop air wont tell you anything. If he is building over 400psi then I highly doubt he will be able to hear a leak with 150psi shop air. My bets are on the HPOP. If it just died like it did, then that is what I would be looking at. I know I had mine go out on me when I was restoring from my head stud install.

I buttoned everything back up and cranked the truck up and it started. However, i noticed I had a LPO leak so I shut it off. After tightening down the fitting, I went back to start the truck and it would only crank and crank and crank. ICP would only build to 300psi VERY SLOWLY and took forever to build off 0psi. Tested the system with shop air and nothing. New pump and it started right up. I had also replaced the IPR valve as well. Hope this helps.

DMAX

Reaction score
FWIW the shop air wont tell you anything. If he is building over 400psi then I highly doubt he will be able to hear a leak with 150psi shop air. My bets are on the HPOP. If it just died like it did, then that is what I would be looking at. I know I had mine go out on me when I was restoring from my head stud install.

I buttoned everything back up and cranked the truck up and it started. However, i noticed I had a LPO leak so I shut it off. After tightening down the fitting, I went back to start the truck and it would only crank and crank and crank. ICP would only build to 300psi VERY SLOWLY and took forever to build off 0psi. Tested the system with shop air and nothing. New pump and it started right up. I had also replaced the IPR valve as well. Hope this helps.

How did you do the test with shop air? You need to have the truck off, and command the IPR 100% closed, If there is a high pressure oil leak you will be able to hear air escaping into the crankcase and bubbling in the oil pan. If it is a late model truck I would suspect STC before anything else

-Eric

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
My truck did the same thing not long ago, slowly building up to 400. Stc didn't work, put in a new Hpop and it's been good since.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yes the truck was off. I bought the adapter fitting from OPR tools that connects to the oil rails where the ICP sensor sits. I then bought a replacement pig tail for the ipr valve and connected the wires to my battery to command it to close. Connected the air at 125psi (that was right where the compressor shut off at) and listened, couldnt hear **** hissing or bubbling. I would recommend pressurizing it with a nitrogen bottle to like 600psi. I guarantee if there is a leak you'll hear it at that pressure. JMO.

Oh yea forgot about the STC fitting. That is fairly easy to check.

strokin6L

Reaction score
you can use shop air to find a leak in the HPOP system....it's been done alooooot of times and works. Oh and Tim's truck is a '05 i believe with the STC fitting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online