Well its time for a clutch

hunter scar

Reaction score
I going to have to install a clutch in my 2002. Im leaning towards the valair Kevlar/ ceramic clutch. Anbody else running one? I like south bend clutch's but I don't like the thoughts of a Kevlar bushing instead of a regular pilot bearing. Any reviews or thoughts please chime in, Thanks Hunter

97stoker350

Reaction score
Got the valair ceramic/Kevlar in mine. It holds well. It is a little jumpy though especially in reverse. But its the only clutch I've ever used so can't compare to any other

cbf9703

Reaction score
I'll never run another south bend after an issue years ago. Basically said there was no way a Ford made enough power to hurt it, actually asked if we were sure it wasn't a Dodge. :doh:

I know plenty of people that run them, I just won't anymore.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Really like my south bend. Very smooth and has a nice soft pedal. Grabs really well also. I have no experience with any other brand clutch though.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Did you guys south bend come with the Kevlar pilot bushing?

Yes. I even had to replace my clutch fork about 10K after I installed my clutch and the pilot still looked great. Dont make the same mistake I made, Order yourself a new clutch fork from Ford if you still have the stock one in there. When you install an upgraded clutch the stock forks break pretty easily. Its $50 from Ford. Can probably get one cheaper online but I needed one same day.

Ive seen a few threads where people will have the flywheel machined to accept a ball bearing pilot. I dont know the specifics of this though.

Last edited:

manual6.0

Reaction score
I going to have to install a clutch in my 2002. Im leaning towards the valair Kevlar/ ceramic clutch. Anbody else running one? I like south bend clutch's but I don't like the thoughts of a Kevlar bushing instead of a regular pilot bearing. Any reviews or thoughts please chime in, Thanks Hunter

I have a valair kevlar/ceramic clutch in my 2005 6.0 zf6

pros: never slipped once yet(should be good up to 500 hp if im correct), slips while taking off so its not too jumpy, pretty good balance between holding power and driveability

Cons: noisy when taking off, its not easy on the leg in traffic, tough getting into reverse sometimes

Id like to hear other peoples thoughts and opinions about this clutch if they have had one....??

Also, any one have issues when its real hot out 80-90 degrees and having to put the pedal to the floor to get the truck in gear?

**I have replaced the stock clutch pedal bushings since they wear out prematurely and can lead to the problem above

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Clutch...too-/251907196267?hash=item3aa6d6c56b&vxp=mtr

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
I just put one in my truck last night and drove it about 2 miles. Not quite as smooth as the stock clutch but not bad at all. Was going to drive it to work today but we got a few inches of snow last night so they salted the roads, decided to take my ranger instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ju015dd

Reaction score
the south bend dd comes with a nice roller bearing pilot, and so nice and easy on the pedal. Very soft and easy on the leg in traffic.

hunter scar

Reaction score
How noisy is this valair clutch? I need to now what to expect, so I don't think it's coming apart lol

97stoker350

Reaction score
Well mines only noisy if I lug it down low. Other than that its nothing you can't get used to if it even makes noise at all. I can't even tell anymore

hunter scar

Reaction score
Well mines only noisy if I lug it down low. Other than that its nothing you can't get used to if it even makes noise at all. I can't even tell anymore

Good deal I will get used to it over time ,what horsepower are you running with it?

Latest posts

Members online