Well Sh@t

Cknox121

Reaction score
Well guess it's time to do some head studs.

Frigin around the other night, got home popped hood, bam! Coolant everywhere. All over frame, rear axle, hood, fender, you name it. Guess it spewed from degas cap.

From reading on the interwebz, it's either egr or a head gasket. I have no loss of power anything of the such.

Filled coolant back up, drove around for about an hour tonight and it was down about 1/2in ( filled to max fill line)

Just order egr delete from Rudy's, hope I can get that on and see if it it helps.

So guessing I need stud's and the works.

Parts list:
*ARP studs ( yes/no? Scared of crazy torque and cracked block)
*New oil cooler
*Upper motor gasket kit with head gaskets (Rudy's? Other vender? Or do I need full gasket kit?)
*Possibly new fuel cooler ?? Yes? No?
*Coolant
*Oil and filter

How's that look for starters? Not really wanting to dump a ton of money into this, just fix it.

I will be doing all the work myself, I have a 2 post lift, and feel pretty confident I can complete the task and save a few dollars.

Any threads/links and advise to doings task would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Cody

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
Mods if this needs to be moved to 6.4 aftermarket performance please do so.

Powerstroke586

Reaction score
Shouldn't need a fuel cooler.
Don't worry about the cracked block with studs it's mostly happened when the heads come off a second time and the studs are re-torqued.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Hope your mating surfaces are flat.

I mean its not like drinking drinking but its not normal. Not sever enough to be white smoking out tail pipe or anything like that such.

Machine shop should be able to fix me up

Cknox121

Reaction score
Shouldn't need a fuel cooler.
Don't worry about the cracked block with studs it's mostly happened when the heads come off a second time and the studs are re-torqued.

Thanks. Anything else I missed? Any special tools?

Cknox121

Reaction score
What about manifold bolts? Reusable or need new?

And gaskets?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
The kit I got from elite came with replacement bolts where they are needed for the manifold. I would recommend changing your thermostats while your doing the egr delete. There known to come apart.

Cknox121

Reaction score
The kit I got from elite came with replacement bolts where they are needed for the manifold. I would recommend changing your thermostats while your doing the egr delete. There known to come apart.

Thanks for the info. Did you get a full stud job kit?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
I would strongly consider pistons. I know it sounds huge, but if it's in the budget go for it. there are more than a few having piston issues, and you can save a lot of hassle doing it now.

lemme know if I can help you out on pricing of your stud job or even pistons.

Eric@HoldersDiesel

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Did you get a full stud job kit?

I should have been more clear. I was just referring to the egr delete kit. As far as changing them all out when you do the gaskets I would, but I dont think you have to.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I should have been more clear. I was just referring to the egr delete kit. As far as changing them all out when you do the gaskets I would, but I dont think you have to.

Oh I see now, lmao.

Stroked777

Reaction score
It depends on what you wanna do with the truck and how many miles are one it. I would add cable springs for 499, I got mine from RCD and do pushrods from them as well. And depending on mileage I would take a look and see how worn your rocker arms are, this are 209 a side to replace

Cknox121

Reaction score
Little update

Did a full egr delete, polished elbow and CAC pipe, and a sinister coolant kit.

Now it's leaking oil from the bottom of the valve cover. You can see in these pictures. Directly to the right of the red, yellow and blue wires. Looks like a little rubber gasket of some sort. Likes really black in picture.

920-7B8089E39B7B-3193-00000393A37A8464_zps8dfed413.jpg
CB3-AB568401BE7F-3193-000003939BF3294B_zpsf37572fa.jpg

While truck is running its blowing smoke/light haze from that area. Looks like the same color as what's coming out of the CCV pipe I ran down the frame.

Also it's leaking coolant from the overflow from the fuel cooler. I sucked some of the coolant out and replaced with new, filled up to the sight glass. Any ideas on this one?

Latest posts

Members online