What could be the issue?

NRErickson84

Reaction score
Hey guys here is my situation. 06 6.0 on the highway cruise set for about 62 mph. Slight incline or load(won't shift from overdrive) truck jerks(feels like the tires slip on paint lines on a rainy day). If I hit the accelerator problem stops. I've looked all over to see if anyone else is experiencing the issue but I don't believe I've found one yet. It doesn't throw a code. Operating temps normal. Long crank to start. Only mod I've done is a 140v alt. otherwise stock. 153k on the odometer. Help. I'm getting out of the military and have to drive 2500 miles to pittsburgh. I don't want to get stranded.

6speedsd

Reaction score
My old 04 would do this every now and then. Truck was a manual trans though. Sometimes it would do it every other day, then go months before it would happen again. Never did figure out what it was before I traded it. Always thought maybe it was a cruise issue, seeing as how that's the only time it ever did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRErickson84

Reaction score
Ok so here is some more info. Just drove a couple miles. My boost is having a hard time getting over 20 psi at wot. Most of the research I've done seems to point to a carbon buildup or solenoid inside the turbo.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'd check for pre turbo exhaust leaks, check your cac boots for tears, and check your map sensor line to make sure its not cracked or loose on the fitting. Also, poke a small wire or something down in the fitting in the intake manifold, sometimes they will get gummed up.

NRErickson84

Reaction score
Ok so an update. Unbolted the cat. It's been used but not used up. No cracks, or white spots. It should be good. Checked the map sensor tubing and stuck a wire down the fitting as suggested. It all looked fine to me. I will look at the cac tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ok so an update. Unbolted the cat. It's been used but not used up. No cracks, or white spots. It should be good. Checked the map sensor tubing and stuck a wire down the fitting as suggested. It all looked fine to me. I will look at the cac tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Do what??? What "white spots" are you referring to on a cat?

6speedsd

Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, only thing you need to worry about with a cat is if it's clogged.

NRErickson84

Reaction score
y4utudap.jpg

From my short experience when clogged the carbon build up will begin to heat and cause what looks like whit spots on the surface of the element. Looks like ashy charcoal.
Cac boots look fine as well. I'm going to attempt rev-x additive and see if that helps. Are there any other suggestions?

ghohouston

Reaction score
y4utudap.jpg

From my short experience when clogged the carbon build up will begin to heat and cause what looks like whit spots on the surface of the element. Looks like ashy charcoal.
Cac boots look fine as well. I'm going to attempt rev-x additive and see if that helps. Are there any other suggestions?

Wtf!?!? Is that a diesel cat? The only thing I've ever seen inside a diesel cat is soot, and they pretty much are either clogged or not... I'd just get rid of it if it were mine.

NRErickson84

Reaction score
No it's not my cat. This is my first diesel and that's why I came here. Have a hard time trusting a dealer with stuff but this is what I have run into in the past with gassers.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Diesel cats don't do that. Like I said, they're either clogged or flowing right for the most part, and if it were mine, I'd ditch it all together

NRErickson84

Reaction score
Ok gents and ladies(if applicable). Update: purchased and added rev-x issues have resolved after 130 miles of driving. I'm confident in a diagnosis of sticking injectors. I know this is only postponing the inevitable but this should keep it under control until I finish my move back to the east coast. I'm going to complete a coolant flush and change prior to the trip and use rev-x long distance fuel additive during the drive. Thanks for the help.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Doesn't make sense that stiction would cause issues with what you described at operating temps. Stiction is usually most noticeable before temps come up.

Latest posts

Members online