What Do You Tow?

Spud Monkey

Reaction score
Now why is it anytime some pulls something heavy they are going to kill someone?????

Does that also mean that the 18 wheeler that's over the 80k is going to kill someone too??

If they don't take precautions on speed yes but their brakes will hold overweight better than a overloaded pick up truck. Unlike someone driving a overloaded pick up truck a 18 wheeler required to stop at all DOT inspection stations open and if they are overloaded they are required either A to have permit which they have to follow certain guidelines or B stop take ticket and don't move till unloaded of the excess weight.:flush:

Twan

Reaction score
image.jpgFYI, I'm not saying anyone should overload.

Spud Monkey

Reaction score
For that container TT, how many tires are under it?

Bowing 5 on a trip seems excessive.

I blew 5 tires for being to nice and taking the breakdown lane to let people pass, after I stopped that the tires stopped blowing out. It's triple axle of 5200 lb rated axles. Which if I seen right registered at 13k lbs loaded as is which take away 3k tongue weight to 4k I believe it should be legal and safe. The trip by the way was 2800 plus miles.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I've done a lot of stupid $h!t and never hurt anyone. ANYTHING is possible. Every try and panic stop an 11000 lb load with 0 brakes on the trailer. It sucks and was a very scary situation. Only takes one idiot to pull out or lock up ONE time

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

duddy

Reaction score
You've obviously never drove a big truck, much less one that's overweight. 100k lbs will get your braked non-functional in a hurry.

Agreed unless you have the extra axles and brakes to go with, 10 k over weight is noticeable stopping, let alone cornering. And the big part of being that overweight is not that you are comfortable and feel safe, it comes to the moron that hits you and then everything is your fault for being over.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
What people don't realize about small trucks and big trucks...
Small trucks and trailers the gvw is right in front of you. Thats what your legal limit is.
Big trucks are totally different for the most part. Regardless of your actual gvw you are limited to 80k for the most part with out a permit.

Example.
My T800 Kenworth with my 48ft Tri axle Manac trailer.
Combined gvw of 137k lbs. Legal to only 80k. Permitted over weight to 99k lbs in MA/NH.

That means it is only legal to 99k lbs even though it is safely capable of 137k.
There for a truck like mine overloaded by 10k is still "safe" where a pick up 10k over really is over loaded.

Ipkyss

Reaction score

Spud Monkey

Reaction score
Thought I added these but I could not find them.
2005 Citation
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Ipkyss/image_zps53d2bafe.jpg

2008 Cargomate 36ft goose, 3-7k axles, insulated, 21k gvw hauling two rock rigs, tool boxes and spare parts
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Ipkyss/photo_zpsf8ab7bc3.jpg

Its a little on the heavy side, right around 3700-3800 pin weight.
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Ipkyss/photo1_zps1b305d18.jpg

1339 lbs over weight :poke:

SAK

Reaction score
Load from this past weekend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382368228613.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382368228613.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20131020_110343.jpg
    20131020_110343.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Spud Monkey

Reaction score
26,000#'s is not the safe magic number. He is fine if he isn't over on the drive or steer axles weight ratings, same goes for the tire weight ratings.

Nope it isn't safe magic number but it's DOT's rule on how much a non commercial drivers license can have for GVWR unless you got recreational license

Ipkyss

Reaction score
1339 lbs over weight :poke:

What weight is that? Class A driver here. I am within all my tire/axle, but over my trucks gvw. I have been stopped by DOT and let go with an ok. I will say it does drive and handle extremely well. It also stops much better then the camper which is only 9k lbs. The three 7k axles carry the weight well, but they also have huge brakes. I still can not find the max weight you can tow with a small pick up assuming you keep all your axle/tire weights in check. The factory GCVWR is a suggestion and not a limit. That being said. This is the max load I would call safe in all conditions.

I have a B&W turnover ball set about 4" in of the axle. Then a 14" extended gooseneck pin to help clear the cab corners. Camper is on the B&W companion slider which is an awesome set up. Works perfect as I share the camper with my parents so we can swap the hitch between both trucks.

Twan

Reaction score
What's your drive axle rated at?
My 6.0 and 6.4 both are rated at 6900.
I would say the most any 1 ton can haul would be 30k because of the hitch. If you need to haul more you really should look into a much bigger truck.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
What's your drive axle rated at?
My 6.0 and 6.4 both are rated at 6900.
I would say the most any 1 ton can haul would be 30k because of the hitch. If you need to haul more you really should look into a much bigger truck.

Drive axle is 6900. That was the first time I put that set up on the scale. Just had to adjust the load a little bit. I have no need to tow anymore then this so I am not too worried about it. This was with everything I could possibly need throw in to check it on the scale. Anymore and I will just hook it up to my KW.

Latest posts

Members online