What is "The sure fire way...

uga33

Reaction score
not to break the EGR manifold bolt off in the manifold on a higher mileage truck? Just wondering what you guys are consistently doing that works with no issues. I've broken one off before and really don't want to go down that road of anxiety and sorrow again!

niklid05

Reaction score
I ******d my 13 with 98k at the time and my dads with 11 70kish at the time. My truck was first under the knife. Both bolts came out fine. My dads on the other hand..... lol snapped both of them off without much effort at all.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
we always recommend multiple sprays of pb blaster or similar on a cold motor . so maybe 2-4 days in a row of treatment , you will most likely have no issues doing it that way.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
We simply heat the manifold around the bolts with a small MAPP gas torch. Make sure you don't heat the bolts themselves. Also, remove them quickly after heating so that the heat doesn't have time to soak into the bolts themselves.

Have broken zero using that method. If you want to get fancy with it, hold a chunk of dry ice on top of the bolt while heating the manifold; although I don't think it's necessary.

uga33

Reaction score
We simply heat the manifold around the bolts with a small MAPP gas torch. Make sure you don't heat the bolts themselves. Also, remove them quickly after heating so that the heat doesn't have time to soak into the bolts themselves.

Have broken zero using that method. If you want to get fancy with it, hold a chunk of dry ice on top of the bolt while heating the manifold; although I don't think it's necessary.

Mapp was going to be my weapon of choice if I didn't get any responses. Good to know that route is working for people.

Horsemover

Reaction score
Getting ready to do mine shortly with 87K on my 12. I have been hitting it every couple days with PB Blaster but MAP torch makes sense too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jomax

Reaction score
I've always had more luck with heat loosening stuff up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I just pulled my bolts today. Sprayed liberally with a good penetrating oil. Came out like nothing. 1/4" short throw ratchet. When I have issues, like I did on my 6.4, I used an air hammer on the flange to break the freeze. If that didnt work. Heat and work fast.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im old fashioned if i suspect trouble i heat the material around the bolt. Maybe hit it with pb blaster or kroil after the first heating cycle. I just used this method today removing my 15 year old lift eith 277k miles on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Schaeffers penetro 90 is amazing for breaking bolts loose.

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TyCorr

Reaction score
Kroil is the sh1t. That's my go to as well.

My dad has a bottle of acetone and atf....you heat the **** up and then drip that on...he claims it works great but i dont like acetone much. Its pretty volatile. Its like frikkin lacquer thinner.

uga33

Reaction score
Weeeelllllll. The bolt on the passenger side of the manifold decided to round itself off:cursing: I'll hopefully have it out tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online