what rear locker to choose ...

Reaction score
Well im about to service my differentials on my04 six ohhh and was think
PHP:
 e
ing while im in there why not throw a locker or tru Trac in the rear at that time! And how hard are they to install ?

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well im about to service my differentials on my04 six ohhh and was think
PHP:
 e
ing while im in there why not throw a locker or tru Trac in the rear at that time! And how hard are they to install ?

no detroit locker!!!

lets just say i took mine out in pieces.

0260rday

Reaction score
Most like their Tru Tracs. There are books and videos out there to teach you, just take your time. However, my experience is rebuilding a chevy 4.3L but I still hire out my diffs. I've paid between $75-$100 an axle in the past.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I agree with 0260... Ive built Toyotas and Jeeps, and even though Ive done numerous differentials, I learned to hire it out. Just added insurance, I dont think it will be expensive as you think.

I was always a big fan of the auburn and ARB. But we really need to know what you want it for, and how you plan to use it. If its just for a steet performance, I would install a selectable locker.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I've rebuilt my own rear diff with a TrueTrac and all new bearings. First time doing a diff. Just pay attention, do research, buy all the special tools, and check everything you do 30 times. I've got like 6k miles on it now and have checked it out a few times and it's all within spec still. I'd do it again.

Reaction score
Well I race on dirt sprints and occasional drag strip passes other than that I drive her normally and tow my21 ft center console on the weekends

Zmann

Reaction score
I would have it done by a known good shop
It's not a great first timer DIY job ,, and if done wrong it cost you everything in the dif and maybe the housing if it chunks a gear and spins it through

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
If you're looking for a true "locker" and still want street capabilities, the ARB is the only way to go. If you want an LSD, then truetrac all the way!

Snake

Reaction score
TruTrac.

Personally, I'd only run an ARB up front. Not because its not a good product, but the problem with it is you're stuck (pun intended) with an open differential when its not on. JMO...

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
TruTrac.

Personally, I'd only run an ARB up front. Not because its not a good product, but the problem with it is you're stuck (pun intended) with an open differential when its not on. JMO...

Mostly true....mine spins both rear tires occasionally even when it's not locked...must be some sort of centrifugal forces happening sometimes.

strokin6L

Reaction score
been running a detriot locker in mine for nearly 6 years with no issues. Has some passes down the track and a bunch of truck pulls on it and hasn't skipped a beat. Some say they don't like it on the street, but mine works well. We even have one in our '99 7.3 that's been in it for about 3 years and that's been awesome also...no issues.

Latest posts

Members online