What should I offer?

vcassens

Reaction score
I am going to look at a truck in the morning and I am wondering what is a fair price? It is a 97 cclb 4x4 F350 it has 200k on the clock and is an auto. Also what some things to check out? I am a diesel mechanic by trade so I no most things to look for just want to make sure I don't forget anything. The pics crappy but it doesn't look like to much rust in on it. They are asking 6500.
d6a001b768c78e412374297f42b3fee9.jpg

8fe92d04738c4ccbc6452f84bb77ae9c.jpg

7073b07c424876fc8ef402f0a34454d1.jpg

f3d31c8ef311ed66240358bbdf2e9c0e.jpg

3391a3c921a2fdaa6a9ede4716579135.jpg

668678078d5619def89457a3ab21c0d4.jpg

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
It was used as a farm truck i assume? From the location of the pics and looks like hay in the interior. So it probably saw a lot of dust. Since it has a k&n intake i would definitely pull the tube and check the turbo for dusting and shaft play. And check the valley for oil. Then offer 4500. Its a good looking truck though. Post some more pics if you get it.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

79jasper

Reaction score
If you were closer and could go with a regular cab, there's a nice one by me. They're asking $3300.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Take the oil filler cap off, flip it over and place it over the fill hole on the valve cover. If it gets blown off, walk away.....if it stays there or vibrates off....start making your deal.

I wonder how he was able to see behind him with the electric mirror towing a gooseneck trailer

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Take the oil filler cap off, flip it over and place it over the fill hole on the valve cover. If it gets blown off, walk away.....if it stays there or vibrates off....start making your deal.

I wonder how he was able to see behind him with the electric mirror towing a gooseneck trailer

Billy T.
[email protected]

I never had a problem. It wasnt easy like tow mirrors but you get used to it. I pulled a 24' bumper pull with the skid loader and trees on it for a few years with those mirrors. On a gasser 460 but same chassis. :)

Come to think of it my 04 rclb 5.4 had regular mirrors too and it wasnt a huge issue. I like my 99-07 tow mirrors better but the 08+ are incredible to work with . You dont have to move from upright seated position to back a trailer.

vcassens

Reaction score
Well I ended up getting it. I got it for 5 Grand and the interior is near mint the worst of the rust is on the bed and front drivers finder. The right front finder had surface rust and there is a small dent in the back of the cab where a tool box made contact and it has surface rust and the bottoms of 3 of the doors are just starting to rust. It goes to the body shop on the 15th to get all the surface rust sanded and primed and I will be looking for a drivers side finder. As for the bed I planned on a flat bed for it so I'm not to worried about that. The turbo checked out fine and was clean he said that the k and n filter had only been on it for about 5000 miles

vcassens

Reaction score
Ok so the truck decided that after I hooked the batteries up in it for the first time in 3 weeks that it would catch fire. It burnt the dash on the drivers side from the fuse box up Its not real bad since I caught it in time and it fixable with a new dash and wiring. My question is what would the truck be worth in that condition with no motor? I am planing on pulling the motor to keep for a spare and picking up a cclb dully. If the rear of the dully and front dana 60 from this truck have matching gears I will keep the front axle and suspension and do a 4x4 conversion on the dully. I have a guy local to me that is wanting the rest of the truck and if the hear ratio doesn't match he says he can find me a dana 60 with the right ratio that I need and then I can just leave the front axle under the truck. So I am wondering what a good price would be to get for the truck. Thanks for any help
021d6be67bb4b7db6adf55192ed9b773.jpg

vcassens

Reaction score
What are you selling?
truck minus drivetrain?

Well I am looking at a cclb dully that is already 4x4. If I get that it will be the truck minus the engine, transmission, and transfer case. If I end up with a 2wd dully it will be missing all of the above and the front axle and suspension.

vcassens

Reaction score
tough to help on that one, I'd say $500-1000 but they'll never offer you more,,,,,

well I will probably be fixing it all it needs is a dash and wiring and I have a lead on one. I am still looking to get a dully. If anything I might just use the parts from this one to convert a dully to 4wd if I can't find one with 4wd

mandkole

Reaction score
if youre taking all the drivetrain stuff off it anyway, just part it out. Lots of good parts left. Redoing the dash just seems to be way too much work and opportunity for gremlins.

bluedge8

Reaction score
well I will probably be fixing it all it needs is a dash and wiring and I have a lead on one. I am still looking to get a dully. If anything I might just use the parts from this one to convert a dully to 4wd if I can't find one with 4wd
I just don't see much value there in a burnt chassis that has all the good stuff gone. You will be best off to either fix it or part it out.
if youre taking all the drivetrain stuff off it anyway, just part it out. Lots of good parts left. Redoing the dash just seems to be way too much work and opportunity for gremlins.

I wouldn't worry too much about gremlins, but it could be a lot of work.

Last edited:

vcassens

Reaction score
I will only be fixing it if i can get a 4wd dully. If i can't find one and end up with a 2wd i will part it out

vcassens

Reaction score
Well i ended up with 7,100 after my deductible and the buy back. The buy back was 960 and 100 for the deductible. I think that was a fair deal. I am going to look at another 96 this week but it is a 2wd cclb dually with 170k on it. The truck runs and drives but has bad ball joints and he says it needs an injector. The guy is only asking 2800 for it so hopefully it works out.
a2431d6651d0796fc5c12ce8a331917e.jpg

Latest posts

Members online