What simple mods can I do for my 99 7.3?

Desertdweller

Reaction score
I just bought my first 7.3 powered ford. It's a crew cab long bed 4x4 auto trans with a build date of 02/99. I have already ordered a drop in filter and a tow tune and plan on a 4 or 5 inch exhaust in the future. Im not looking for crazy power or anything, just a simple and dependable truck. So my question is there anything else I can do to my truck and keep it mostly stock? For example: I thought I heard something about a valve on the turbo that can be deleted? How about the trans I here they are kinda weak in stock form? Should I buy a shift kit or do a valve body upgrade? What is the benefit to a EBPS delete? Is there a couple sensors that I should keep in the glove box? Do I really need to monitor additional gauges? Thanks

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Well I see you said that you got tow tunes so I guess you will be towing so I would say yes to gauges. They can at least worn you that something is wrong. A BTS valve body would be a nice upgrade but I have also heard that if you do that you might as well upgrade the whole thing, because it will mess with the TC then the internals. Like I said that's is what has been told to me. Someone else who has had experience might be able to say something about it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
The sensor that you want to keep in the glove box is the Cam Position Sensor along with a 10mm wrench to change it. Location is lower passenger side of harmonic balancer.

Exhaust Back Pressure Valve is just a butterfly valve that closes during warm up. It can become sticky and cause poor performance. There is also a tube from the front of the passenger side exhaust manifold that is connected to the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor. It becomes clogged and causes the sensor to malfunction which in turn causes the valve to malfunction. In my opinion if you are leaving the truck stock, the EBP system should simply be cleaned (remove soot from the valve and from the tube) so it operates correctly. The tubes will sometimes fail (crack) and are available as a replacement. You can also use the valve as an exhaust brake.

Having at least an EGT gauge and trans temp gauge will allow you to monitor how the engine and trans are operating.

Im interested in what tow tune you purchased. Did you buy a chip with a single tune on it? Which chip?

Denver

Reaction score
Drive it but in the meantime save up some money if it goes and if it does take it to John Wood to get rebuilt. FYI XDP diesel is having a 10% off sale for St Patty's day. I ordered my exhaust this morning.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I see no reason why you wouldnt just put a JW valve body in there.

It will help extend the life of the clutches. Add that with s 6.0L trans cooler and some gauges.

Desertdweller

Reaction score
I see no reason why you wouldnt just put a JW valve body in there.

It will help extend the life of the clutches. Add that with s 6.0L trans cooler and some gauges.

I already spoke with John Woods and that's exactly what he said. The cool part is I can bring the truck to him and he will build the valve body to how the truck drives.

Latest posts

Members online