What tuner has the best overall results?

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
I've tried searching and maybe I'm not searching correctly but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. My 08 is finally almost ready to go back out on the road but I haven't done any kind of tuning yet. I have done an EGR delete and DPF/CAT delete so I know it needs tuned to get rid of the check engine light. I'm wanting to increase power and torque but at the same time increase fuel economy. I also want the ability to change settings for towing and performance (so I can show my buddies with duramax and cummins what a real truck can do). What brand tuners will best suit my needs/wants and who's tune should I go with. My budget is tight so the best option for not a lot of cash would be appreciated! Thanks for your input

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I've tried searching and maybe I'm not searching correctly but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. My 08 is finally almost ready to go back out on the road but I haven't done any kind of tuning yet. I have done an EGR delete and DPF/CAT delete so I know it needs tuned to get rid of the check engine light. I'm wanting to increase power and torque but at the same time increase fuel economy. I also want the ability to change settings for towing and performance (so I can show my buddies with duramax and cummins what a real truck can do). What brand tuners will best suit my needs/wants and who's tune should I go with. My budget is tight so the best option for not a lot of cash would be appreciated! Thanks for your input

Wait you were running your truck with a DPF and EGR delete without a tuner? LOL nah JK

If you can afford a H&S minimaxx and go with gearhead custom tunes I would do that on the fly tuning no need to wait to upload a diffrent tune a press and your on a higher or lower tune...

If you can't afford the H&S route morgan @ midwest is now selling SCT X4 with gearhead tunes only downfall is no on the fly power levels and you gotta wait ie 15-20 mins to upload another tune.

I will tell you this GH has the best overall tunes and the truck driving characteristics will remain like stock and have the best fuel economy and power..

But we also have other options out... PM ethier (bigrpower) Mike) or Morgan @midwest diesel

Last edited:

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
No I haven't been driving my truck without a tuner. I haven't been able to drive it since October when the turbos failed. I've had to chase down multiple issues which ultimately led to the egr delete. Just now got all the parts in and on the truck and remembered that I need a tune. What will happen if I drive it for a while without a tuner other than the check engine light being on?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
No I haven't been driving my truck without a tuner. I haven't been able to drive it since October when the turbos failed. I've had to chase down multiple issues which ultimately led to the egr delete. Just now got all the parts in and on the truck and remembered that I need a tune. What will happen if I drive it for a while without a tuner other than the check engine light being on?

regen limp mode don't do it.

sootie

Reaction score
it will only start a few times then the pcm locks down.

Gearhead tunes are definitely the best out there. i have a used SCT 9625OR that has canned tunes as well as space for custom tunes. pm me if you want.

swinky

Reaction score
Randalls (bftblueovalboys) truck is awesome with gearhead tunes. 12.83 in the 1/4 with tunes/intake/exhaust/deletes. Damn near full weight ccsb. Made over 50 passes on the stock trans and when it finally let go it was a hard part.

thuglike

Reaction score
I've run Innovative and Gearhead.

Innovative is snappier and feels quicker down low. Gearhead is smooth as silk. Shifting is spot on and smooth. I get a little more injector noise with Gearhead but the overall smoothness wins out for me. I run Matt's Hot tune every day.

The only other truck I've been in with another tune is Matt (blacksmoke08) rig. He runs a tune from River city and it felt real good as well. I may try a tune from them next.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I sell the gearhead or innovative tunes, let me know if I can help .

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
I think I have decided I want to get the SCT Livewire TS with Gearhead tunes. The only problem I am having at the moment is finding the tuner itself for a decent price. I am finding them all over the place for right at $500 (new) and then $200 for the tunes which I don't think is bad but the only vendor I'm supporting going that route is Gearhead. Are there any vendors on here that sell their tuners for around $500? If so when I get the cash together I will buy from them and get my tunes from gearhead. I don't need the extreme tunes for my truck since it's all stock other than the deletes.

sootie

Reaction score
be careful when looking for a Livewire TS as they never came from SCT with delete capabilities, certain vendors modified them to do so. hence you see the variation in price. also-as a monitor, i think you will be disappointed in it. the touch screen is terrible.

Txs_mde_87

Reaction score
Was looking at gear heads site and they have 6.0 SCT live wire packages but not for the 6.4, guess I have to call them but I wasn't aware of tuners like the SCT not able to download any map, I thought they just didn't sell the tuner with the delete maps.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Gearhead doesn't offer custom tunes for the Livewire TS (PN 5015) to do offroad options or the older SF3 (3015) nor the new X4. To get offroad tunes loaded, you need the older off road live wire or older sct device that allowed for the Off Road tunes.

OP, if your wanting to go the cheaper route, hit up sootie with the 9625OR and I can hook you up with the custom tunes for it from gearhead. Just loaded some in a customer's truck and they work awesome. I also have off road X4 programmers available and work awesome.

jspaulding37918

Reaction score
so if I'm understanding correctly, the deletes require offroad tunes? I've tried contacting sootie with no response and I turned down one from another member that was an older livewire with gearhead tunes he was going to let me buy for $800, he was even going to get the correct gearhead tunes for my truck. now I'm even more confused! :(

abramthebest

Reaction score
What about a h&s mini maxx I been seeing a lot of 6.4 with them just how would it know that I'm running dpf delete and how do I get custom tunes ?

6.4 f-250

Latest posts

Members online