What turbo to get?

JUNIOR

Reaction score
2006 F-350 CCSB 6.0 65,000mi.

Looking to replace my turbo with something reliable. Only things I have done motor wise is PHP ficm programmer and 5" flo-pro turbo back exhaust (no cat or muffler). Everything else is stock. Don't want to blow head gaskets or start mechanical trouble.

Was thinking of getting a reman 03 stock turbo or a Powermax. LOVE the whistle.

What do you guys think? Looking for all available options and where to buy.

(P. S. I'm not against getting some tunes as long as their safe.) :)

scparrish

Reaction score
Everyone has their opinion but there is no such thing as safe head bolts with any kind of real mods Imo save for studs.

sootie

Reaction score
bulletproof it first, then add power.

-head studs (have heads decked as well)
-egr delete
-oil cooler
-check for high pressure oil leaks when ur in there (dummy plugs< stc fittings< etc)
-Gearhead custom tuning
_then you can get to the fun stuff like a turbo from Barder or MTW and a set of slightly larger injectors.

JUNIOR

Reaction score
Well, Im not saying head bolts are "safe" but there are alot of guys on here that beat their trucks with high hp tunes on stock bolts and don't have problems. Like I was always told, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JUNIOR

Reaction score
Like I said, not looking for power gains. Looking for a turbo with reliability, thats all.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
The powernax was designed to be a great drop in replacement turbo that will also easily clean 190 injectors. I say powernax turbo from Garrett is what your after

JUNIOR

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure because some people were saying they weren't any good. Thanks for the good info.

Twan

Reaction score
I would say go with a stock 03 turbo. The powermax will have lag even when chipped. Your tires will make it even more noticeable too.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
My pmax won't touch my 190/100's.
175/75 is what I think it can handle tops.

It was ok with good tuning for the 190/75's but even those wouldn't clean up.

Most likely tuning I guess. I ain't blaming the tuning. I just have not worked with them to clean them. Probably should.

Gearhead and warren for me.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well I had a power max with 190/100s and it would clean them up

Did you have your injectors flow tested to verify that you had an actual 190ccs of fuel?? There is just not anyway that a Powermax has the potential flow enough air that is required to clean a full fueled 190/100 injector. Just no way.

JUNIOR

Reaction score
Great information guys... Keep it coming. I heard that the pmax would lag. So maybe just get a reman 03 or do they make new ones?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Don't get an 03 turbo. Get the powermax but get the 11 blade single plane billet compressor wheel for it. Will make a huge difference in lag and performance. You can PM nate(windrunner408)...he's a rep for MTW and sells them. That'll be your best bet!!

jbkingranch

Reaction score
Don't get an 03 turbo. Get the powermax but get the 11 blade single plane billet compressor wheel for it. Will make a huge difference in lag and performance. You can PM nate(windrunner408)...he's a rep for MTW and sells them. That'll be your best bet!!

Agreed! Or go with the stage 1 from MTW. It's a cheaper option cause they are using your turbo and just modifying it.

windrunner408

Reaction score

A stock powermax is maxed out at 175/75s imho

Even with a billet wheel, a Powermax is tapped at the 175/75 mark. However, that combo makes one sweet ride IMHO.

swinky

Reaction score
Leave it and stud it. If you have a ficm tuner and you're gaskets aren't blown you have good heads, don't blow the gaskets and possibly damage the heads and cost yourself more money.

swinky

Reaction score
Well, Im not saying head bolts are "safe" but there are alot of guys on here that beat their trucks with high hp tunes on stock bolts and don't have problems. Like I was always told, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Yeah for a couple thousand miles and they got rid of their egr.

Latest posts

Members online