What's the latest on EC-1 coolant in an OBS?

jmsmith76

Reaction score
I recently got back into an OBS and have been researching coolant. The coolant in the truck is green and looks very recent, but I need to get some test strips and check the SCA levels. I would really prefer to flush it out and switch to CAT EC-1 rated ELC, but all the threads I have found say that there may be compatibility issues in the OBS engines, however, all of those threads are rather old. I think the latest one I read was from 2013. So... what's the latest consensus over here on PSA?

Reaction score
As far as I know you shouldn't do it. I've been running fleet charge coolant for awhile with Zero issues.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Fleet charge for my e99 as well(same coolant needs as the obs) and no issues what so evere

jmsmith76

Reaction score
Over 4yrs with Cat elc in my OBS and not a single problem with it.

THAT is what I'm looking for. I know that there are supposedly issues with EC-1 in pre-99 motors, but I'm curious how many people have actually had problems. In all the reading I did, I heard of 1 guy that had to replace injector cups and blamed it on the ELC. I know there are more out there running it, but haven't heard of any other issues.

Last edited:

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
THAT is what I'm looking for. I know that there are supposedly issues with EC-1 in pre-99 motors, but I'm curious how many people have actually had problems. In all the reading I did, I heard of 1 guy that had to replace injector cups and blamed it on the ELC. I know there are more out there running it, but haven't heard of any other issues.

Quite honestly it probably won't do all that much harm in the long run, but I certainly don't feel like putting myself at risk more than necessary and any of the coolants that are actually recommended for the pre 99 engines do a damn good job anyway.

uncool

Reaction score
The problem is in the coolant mixing, not the engines them self. Flush and drain EVERYTHING, then let everything dry out completely. Flush again then refill.
I have done 13 OBS trucks and the longest one is just about to hit 500k, about 320k on the ELC coolant.

jmsmith76

Reaction score
Flush and drain EVERYTHING, then let everything dry out completely. Flush again then refill.

Right, but supposedly International did testing and said that there might be seal incompatibilities in engines built before 2/1999. If you've got 350k on one without issues, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that it's reasonably safe.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Only danger I see is the possibility of it being harmful to old cup jobs and the loctite they USED to use. If they are changed, shouldnt be an issue.

Reaction score
Kinda busy at work, should have elaborated a bit more.
Many of us that have been in fleet maintenance (mostly Cummins 5.9, 6.7 ISB, ISL, ISM and now ISX) have noticed an upswing in stupid coolant leaks from gaskets, seals and orings that never gave problems before the introduction of ELC. I also have a friend that aquired a very well kept 93 Dodge Cummins truck that the older gentlemen he bought it from had gone to ELC, sythetic oils etc. The head gasket was leaking coolant on the ground at less that 100,000 miles. My thought is that the acid in ELC (yes it is an organic acid) eats up things. We do run it in all fleet vehicles. I do not ever convert older engines to it, why risk a problem developing when conventional coolant with nalcool or equivalent works just a well?

Latest posts

Members online