What's torque???

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Torque numbers rise as bore and stroke is increased. Larger bore and stroke engines also make peak torque at lower rpms.

Dirty_Stroke

Reaction score
I like it.

Or the guys who have spun the rollers, what kinda numbers are you seeing? (Torque obviously)

I made 911ft-lbs with only mods being 155/stock injectors, exhaust, and SCT custom tuned. Obviously supporting mods studs and EGR delete. I see no reason your truck shouldn't be north of the 1000rwtq mark.

bruce

Reaction score
torque is twisting force or the force to stop an object from twisting. he prolly thinks a 6.0 won't make a 1k of torque because the relatively light rotating assembly and small cubic inches. when the crank and rotating assembly is heavy you can make a ton of torque with low hp. i mean in a 15L engine imagine how much energy it takes to stop that huge crank from spinning, thats how those semi's take off from a stop loaded at like 1200 rpm

Motostroker

Reaction score
1 HP equals 550lbs moved in 1 second. That equation derives from 14.7 psi of normal (or sea level) atmospheric psi. Yes torque is the resistance in energy (work/force) it takes to stop a mass from counteract what's powering it. Horsepower maintains torque also, that why there is sled pullers that do 2000HP/but only 2300lbs of torque. If you want that 2300 lbs of torque going down the track, that's where cams, gearing, and turbo sizes come into play. Sorry I suck at explaining things. I just mentally understand it myself.

Source: engineer student realizing school sucks

Mdub707

Reaction score
HP is a measure of work/time.
Horsepower = (Torque x RPM)/5252

Let's look at this right here. 5252 is that magic number and always an easy way to spot a photoshop dyno because people forget math always wins. On a dyno sheet, torque and hp always cross each other at 5252, because the formula says so.

Since we rarely see that far on the graph on a diesel like this, we can also say torque is double horspower at 2626 rpm.

A very general rule of thumb (there is a mathematical equation behind it that Cold Roller explained earlier) torque is GENERALLY twice your HP #. Guys, don't lay into me that its not true, because I know it is not. I am simply saying a general rule of thumb our engines produce a 1:2 ratio of HP to Torque. My first and latest dyno run was 366HP/607Ft/lbs

That can sometimes be used as a very loose rule of thumb for a diesel, but far more accurate to just say torque is 2x hp @ 2626rpm.

This is exactly why a 6.4 and 6.0 have different torque numbers. A 600hp 6.0 and a 600 hp 6.4 will have different torque values. The 600hp 6.0 probably doesn't make that power until 3500 rpms, and the 600hp 6.4 makes it lower in the rpm range, right around that 2500 rpm mark. So the 600hp 6.0 is probably only making 450-500hp at 2626, which means 900 ft lbs. When the 6.4 makes 600 at 2626, it's making 1200 ft/lbs. The increase in engine displacement helps, but the quick spool high pressure charger helps the most. A single turbo 6.4 will probably show dyno graphs very close to that of a 6.0... given similar power outputs.

When we think of OTR trucks, we always think of high torque, low speed... Gearing is the biggest helper, with so many close gears, the operator can keep the truck running at an almost sustained RPM and keep the power right where the peak torque is all the time.

Derkperk

Reaction score
Figures don't lie as they say.
So as you say torque will be double te Hp at 2626, is that going to be near the max number? At what rpm will a 6.0 peak torque number at?

Latest posts

Members online