Wheel Maintenance

Krause

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has experience painting their wheels on the back-side as a preventative measure for aluminum rims. I acquired a used set of MT Classic lock wheels, have experience polishing and maintaining these wheels in the past; that said it always annoys me a bit when the back-side starts getting in rough condition and can be seen through the holes (you can only clean the back side so well without taking the whole wheel off). Anyone paint/protect the back side of their rims? If so how?

Cleaned backside of rim I am hoping to paint with light grey, something to protect...

Krause

Reaction score
I had considered clear coating... No experience with plasti-dip, what is that? I also just purchased a bunch of Mastercoat's products for various projects, just kind of experimenting as an alternative to POR15. At any rate, they sell this primer which I bought...

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/primer/

Is advertised as very durable even by itself, and colour is light grey/metallic/sliver when it goes one, dont think it would be very obtrusive behind a polished rim. Was thinking it may be something to consider...

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
Plastidip is a best way to describe it spray on plastic. Tough stuff, I'd did my bumpers and its still holding up great. A lot of people do their wheels in it

Krause

Reaction score
Don't use anything real heavy I'd think it might throw the ballance off

Yea they are not balanced yet. Im thinking Im not going to be able to really do anything about it until I get fresh tires mounted and balanced, I dont want to loose the ability to mount stick on weights. Might just be best to leave it alone...

Krause

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Gonna bring this around with a quick question. Can you/will a tire shop mount a tire on a rim that is marginally too wide for the tire? Same 18x10 MT classic locks; I will be downsizing to a 285/75/R18 toyo AT 2's, which is essentially 34.8 tall and 11.3 wide. It calls for a optimal 8 inch wide rim, and can go up to 9.5 (right off toyo's site). Would mounting these on a 10inch rim cause any damage?
-Krause

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I had 285/75/16's on 10" wide wheels mounted up by a shop. They just warned me that the wheels were a bit wide for the tire and would cause odd tire wear.

Krause

Reaction score
I had 285/75/16's on 10" wide wheels mounted up by a shop. They just warned me that the wheels were a bit wide for the tire and would cause odd tire wear.

How long did you run them that way? Did you notice any ill effects/serious abnormal tire wear? From what I can dig up the jeep guys complain that a setup like this you cant air down the tire without popping it off the bead, but that's not really an issue for a tire kept at 65psi.

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
Just have a mom and pop shop do it. Most big name tire shops won't do it because of liability for them if something goes wrong

Lang

Reaction score
Back to the OP, what about clear spay paint? I've never done it on a wheel just an idea... Maybe someone here has

old man dave

Reaction score
I had considered clear coating... No experience with plasti-dip, what is that? I also just purchased a bunch of Mastercoat's products for various projects, just kind of experimenting as an alternative to POR15. At any rate, they sell this primer which I bought...

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/primer/

Is advertised as very durable even by itself, and colour is light grey/metallic/sliver when it goes one, dont think it would be very obtrusive behind a polished rim. Was thinking it may be something to consider...

I used Eastwood's AlumaBlast aerosol paint on the engine brackets, it looked just like freshly sandblasted aluminum, so close that I had a hard time seeing where I had painted over the freshly sandblasted brackets.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.