when is a stock alternator not enough?

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
I redid all battery connections...added another 4 gauge charge wire and it still dies at 3k rpms .... I will change the alternator to a 130 or another 200 amp unit that I have here.....sucks getting whopped by a ricer when you cant run it over 3k without loosing all gauges......stereo....and headlights

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Zmann

Reaction score
Man that is bad
but you should be able to loose the alt for at least a minute under full power before huge issue like this ,, the batteries have a reserve capacity that should handle this problem ,,, so I am thinking the ALT might be grounding out or some huge AMP draw ?

chappy

Reaction score
I just put an AdvanceAuto 140 amp made by Worldwide. It comes in the larger 6g housing and puts out 14.0-14.2 at idle with everything powered up. It was 155 bucks but there was a 20% discount if you ordered through their web site--picked up at the local store. Hopefully it will last until I can save up for a 200+ amp version.

I'm gonna check into that. Could you give a link to it so I get the right one? I thought we couldn't run the large 6g case?
Update I installed the overdrive pulley and I am now getting 13.6 at idle. It is a nice jump from what it was but still seems low. I ended up trying 3 different new 110 amp alternators and similar results with all on them. I was told the 140 amp was for the dual alternator option trucks only . I have no clue

chappy

Reaction score
Alright another update
I went and got the 140amp alternator that autozone and advanced auto says will only work with the dual setup. It works just fine. Bolted right up and everything worked great.
So thank Qholic for the info. My truck is now happy and with lights on and heater the fuel pressure doesn't drop at all at idle. Voltage is a nice 14 volts at idle also. The pressure was still dropping 10psi with the little 110 amp and the overdrive pulley. Not no more that 30 amps extra did the trick. Also as stated by Qholic it is a large case and not a small case alternator so it should last longer. My question now is why would the autoparts stores think that the dual alternator wouldn't work on a single? Its the upper one and it works fine. I'm happy happy happy

Latest posts

Members online