When should injector o-rings be replaced?

PsRumors

Reaction score
Had a conversation with Brian at BTS earlier this week and he mentioned it was probably a good idea to do injector o-rings due to age, truck has 131k miles.

What are some signs of needing o-rings? I have had several oil analysis done and nothing has been noted.

Reaction score
Hard to say and it seems to vary a lot. My 94 was at 175k when the O-rings failed. Up to that point it started and ran fine and did not use oil between the 5k interval oil changes. When they failed it used 8 quarts in 150 miles. Some folks will see an increase in oil usage, some will start having hard starts (especially when warm), and some will be like mine (catastrophic). My 97 has 185k on the originals (knock-on-wood). Cheers!

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Got a buddy that has 255k on his 97 250 original injectors & o-rings, hpop, hell even original fuel pump lol.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think that you are trying to head off having an issue that creates a hard hot start or sudden oil usage for instance.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I never changed the ones in my 00 until two years ago when I ran stg 2's for a while. Removed the.stock injectors at 258k and the orings were still.decent looking but were brittle upon removal. Now they are.back in their bores at 265k with new orings.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I wouldn't replace them until you have an issue with them. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". :D

As for my 2001 7.3L... It has 244,000 miles with original injectors, o-rings, HPOP, turbo... The only time the valve covers had to come off was when I did glow plugs(which lasted 230,000 BTW).

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats pretty much how I felt Justin. Mine made that suctiony sound when I removed them. Similar to when you take a bite out of a fresh peach....sssshhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwppppop. It was pretty.obvious they were comfy.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Thats pretty much how I felt Justin. Mine made that suctiony sound when I removed them. Similar to when you take a bite out of a fresh peach....sssshhhhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwppppop. It was pretty.obvious they were comfy.

Great way of describing it! LOL

Latest posts

Members online