When to use plug in Engine block warmer

Lugger007

Reaction score
I had the engine block warmer and plug installed today. I've heard the new 6.7 are pretty good in the cold.
But At what temps are you guys usually plugging them in?
Also how long, over night or do you have it set on a plug in timer?
Thanks in advance

Randy_270

Reaction score
My truck has started in -50C(-58F) after sitting all night unplugged, started easier than my girlfriends car that was plugged in and started easier than my work Suburban did at -35C(-31F)

Elliott

Reaction score
When it gets cold out, just plug it in for 2-4 hours, I have a timer on my cord. Truck cranks over and you get heat in the cab a little quicker. I have forgotten a few times and the truck has started no problem ( -38C). Just piece of mind I guess, I like to treat my truck well, so that's why I am willing to have a slightly higher power bill in the cold months. Currently driving a 12 with 6.7.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Plug it in below 10*. It makes starting a lot gentler on the engine. Also, you only need it plugged in long enough to radiate the heat through the block. I'd give it 2 hours until it's below 0*, then I'd go for four hours. Get a timer, it'll save your electric bill.

Lugger007

Reaction score
Thank for the videos. That's crazy hearing a diesel start that cold.
I didn't want to damage the motor hence why I was asking.
In ct it gets fairly cold usually 20's at night but at my house in vt it can be much colder up north.

Is my electric bill going to spike that much? Didn't realize it drew that much power

Lugger007

Reaction score
Is there anyway of knowing that the block warmer is actually on and functioning? Like a light in dash.

alwil

Reaction score
Is there anyway of knowing that the block warmer is actually on and functioning? Like a light in dash.

Sometimes you can hear them when you first plug them in, it's kind of a sizzling sound.
It has to be pretty quiet to hear it though.

I have not tried to hear my 6.7 block heater but I know I could hear the one in my 6.0.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

CamTom12

Reaction score
The block heater is around 900 watts. It'll draw some juice. A good way to tell if it's working is if your engine block is warm to the touch. Or if your wait to start isn't on very long. Or if your hood is clear of snow after a light dusting and being plugged in.

135Hoster

Reaction score
The *ONLY* time I've ever *HAD* to plug mine in was when it hit -45C. The engine refused to crank. I plugged it in for an hour and it started.

Around -30C it takes a fair while to warm up.

A block heater isn't going to hurt anything, and I would suggest using it below freezing. You can have a silly amount of wear on your engine when the oil has the consistency of molasses.

Also you'll know it's working if you check your MFD when the truck starts, and the engine oil/coolant temps are above ambient.

morepower02

Reaction score
I seldom use one and never seem to have an issue starting in Minnesota. To tell that it is working a few seconds after you plug in you will here a percolating sound for a couple seconds.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Having problems starting vs. a healthy start are two different things.

I've cranked mine without preheat at -30*F, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Kind of one of those emergency things.

Tonka350

Reaction score
there is definitely an issue with mine lmao even with new plugs and gpr it doesn't want to start in anything under 40*.....I have been confused for over two years with this issue now...never figured it out.

Chad

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Also the Block warmer is standard on every engine. The cord is an optional accessory. Hopefully they only charged you for the cord install which just plugs in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.