Which helper bags?

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I need to get a set of helper bags ordered for my truck.

2005 F350 SRW 4x4
PMF Leaf spring hangers with 2011 leaf springs
Will be hauling a 300 gallon diesel tank in the bed

It's been a long time since I even looked at air bags. Have a few questions for those that are running them:

*Curious to know which setups people prefer?
*Compressor or no compressor?
*Auto leveling?

I'll be all over the country in all different kinds of weather. The diesel tank in the bed will be at different levels at all times, so I figured the ability to adjust using the compressor would be a big plus. With as much as the weight will vary, it may even be worth getting the auto-leveling setup. Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations would be great.

Marty

Reaction score
I can't comment on auto leveling but I use Firestone bags. I use inboard kit to use custom brackets for my 5th wheel brackets. For you probably wont matter. I use two trucks almost daily with them and about to install on my newer truck. I've put a bunch in and its easy. I use no compressor as its either pumped up or not.... trailer or not.

Denver

Reaction score
I would go with the air lift bags that work with a 5th wheel/gooseneck hitch. The outboard over the leaf springs ones are popular but were you position them on the frame the frame lacks a cross member and the up and down movement can cause the frame to flex inward and create cracks. I've only seen this happen on 2 trucks out of many with these bags. We have had them on 2 trucks and didn't have any problems but we didn't put much weight in them. The hitch guy that put my 5th wheel in also told me some stories. Firestone has their 5th wheel style bags but the lower mount is cheap and bends with any weight. I would suggest going with an on board air compressor and a dual switch control. Getting an air tank is going above and beyond.

Denver

Reaction score
What are you going to be doing that requires 300 gallons of fuel? 300 gallons plus a tank would be about 2500 lbs.? That is getting close to your max GVWR.

Marty

Reaction score
Fwiw I typically tow 19k-24k gcvw, although I have scaled out close to 30k. I have not had any problems with Firestone kits. Not saying it doesn't ever just my experience.

java

Reaction score
I have air lift bags in my 6.0 and my dad has Firestone bags on his 6.7, both have worked flawlessly. You can't go wrong with either.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I'm going to have a set of Air lift bags (Load Lifter 5000) and a wireless air kit for sale in the next month, if you are interested. Currently on a 2006 F250. Will work on your truck as long as you're running the stock block w/bump stop year.
PM me for details.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I passed your house the other day. Was headed out to the brother-in-laws house. I love how your garage opens up on the back like that!! I've been tied up with my Mustang build. Doing a LSX motor swap in it.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I passed your house the other day. Was headed out to the brother-in-laws house. I love how your garage opens up on the back like that!! I've been tied up with my Mustang build. Doing a LSX motor swap in it.

Ah cool. Stop by man

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
If I do it, I'll probably go ahead and do on-board air. The weight in the bed will always be different, so I would like the ability to adjust them. Trying to decide which system to go with.

sniper_101

Reaction score
Watch the in-board ones for exhaust clearance. I'm running the Firestone 2550 system but the driverside bag bracket contacts my 4" exhaust, I'm going to have to do some re-welding on my exhaust system. Otherwise I like the system a lot.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Anyone else have any recommendations? Also curious what a good compressor is if I want to be able to fill an on-board tank and/or run small air tools.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
OK, I found a deal on a Ride Rite kit (#2452) and snagged it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firestone-R...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

airbags.jpg

So now I'm looking for a compressor setup. I found this one, any opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Lift-25...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6d443f15&vxp=mtr

AL25572_1000.jpg

Latest posts