White smoke under acceleration, cold engine

mavrik2747

Reaction score
So I recently bought my 2008 (deleted) and it didn't have service records, so I changed the filters and oil, was running great, with a little black smoke under acceleration until it warmed up after sitting for a week or so. Just had the coolant replaced and now it has a lot of white smoke until it warmed up on the way home from the shop. Didn't see any coolant leak and didn't get any codes.

Heavy white smoke, I think it has the normal diesel exhaust smell but not sure and it's only under acceleration and while engine is still cold. Also has a rough idle and makes the truck shake much more than usual which really scared me. What would cause this?

That was yesterday. Just went outside and started up the truck, revved it up a couple times and got some heavy white smoke. It tripped code P0304 for cylinder 4 misfire. I'm flabbergasted, was running great until I had new coolant put in...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Undo the lower CAC hose and see if oil pours out.

What doest the blowby look like?

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Undo the lower CAC hose and see if oil pours out.

What doest the blowby look like?
I went out just to start it and let it idle for 10-15 min and see how it did. Now it won't even start. Starts to crank and then just clicks. ughhhh. Once I figure that out then I'll check the CAC. Pretty sure there's some oil in there, there's some residue on the outside of the boot.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
They will always have oil, but I'm looking for it to puke out a couple quarts

webb06

Reaction score
Was the coolant level normal when you took it in? Maybe once they got the coolant topped off now it’s hydro locking. Are egr coolers still on the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Was the coolant level normal when you took it in? Maybe once they got the coolant topped off now it’s hydro locking. Are egr coolers still on the engine?

Yes, coolant levels are same level and normal from when before I took it in. EGR is deleted.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So I recently bought my 2008 (deleted) and it didn't have service records, so I changed the filters and oil, was running great, with a little black smoke under acceleration until it warmed up after sitting for a week or so. Just had the coolant replaced and now it has a lot of white smoke until it warmed up on the way home from the shop. Didn't see any coolant leak and didn't get any codes.

Heavy white smoke, I think it has the normal diesel exhaust smell but not sure and it's only under acceleration and while engine is still cold. Also has a rough idle and makes the truck shake much more than usual which really scared me. What would cause this?

That was yesterday. Just went outside and started up the truck, revved it up a couple times and got some heavy white smoke. It tripped code P0304 for cylinder 4 misfire. I'm flabbergasted, was running great until I had new coolant put in...

With the p0304 code and the now possibly hydrolocked engine, I’d be leaning towards an injector. I’d pull the secondary fuel filter cap and see if the bowl is full of metal…

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Batteries are all good. Drained the intercooler, maybe a quart, quart and a half drained out. Couldn't check the blowby since it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the shop and they found that the rocker arm came off cylinder #4. So they're going to replace the rocker arms and put in a new injector seal kit, all for the tune of $1,731, seems about right for what I've found, includes the cost of $700 to dig into it. Fortunately it doesn't seem there was any damage to the cylinder.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Batteries are all good. Drained the intercooler, maybe a quart, quart and a half drained out. Couldn't check the blowby since it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the shop and they found that the rocker arm came off cylinder #4. So they're going to replace the rocker arms and put in a new injector seal kit, all for the tune of $1,731, seems about right for what I've found, includes the cost of $700 to dig into it. Fortunately it doesn't seem there was any damage to the cylinder.
I'd stop right there that isn't going to fix it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You have a wasted cam and or lifter. New rockers will probably fall right off.

Rockers just don't fall off

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You have a wasted cam and or lifter. New rockers will probably fall right off.

Rockers just don't fall off

Normally I agree with you, however, these are pos 6.4 rockers, and if they’re original they definitely could’ve taken a shit. Seen plenty where the cup for the pivot ball was wasted, and the arm came off.

However, the quart to quart and a half if oil in the intercooler is an issue.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Normally I agree with you, however, these are pos 6.4 rockers, and if they’re original they definitely could’ve taken a shit. Seen plenty where the cup for the pivot ball was wasted, and the arm came off.

However, the quart to quart and a half if oil in the intercooler is an issue.

They'd be replacing all the rockers if the cup and ball fell out/off were smooshed I feel . They cut grooves deep down into the valve bridge too..

Guess we wait and see.

I've condemned dozen 6.4s cause rockers have fallen off and I cut open oil filter and there's millions pieces of lifters.

Some customers say to just change the rockers they are selling it so I have told them I'll do it but I won't start it cause they've just fallen right off before.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
They'd be replacing all the rockers if the cup and ball fell out/off were smooshed I feel . They cut grooves deep down into the valve bridge too..

Guess we wait and see.

I've condemned dozen 6.4s cause rockers have fallen off and I cut open oil filter and there's millions pieces of lifters.

Some customers say to just change the rockers they are selling it so I have told them I'll do it but I won't start it cause they've just fallen right off before.

I agree with doing them all, but how much half assed shit have you seen come in?

And I agree on the cam thing, but that’s another you figure they’d have checked the filter, maybe not cut it open, but at least pulled it and spread some pleats apart and checked.

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Rocker on #4 came off, replaced all 4 on driver's side and injector seals. Cam was good. Right after I picked it up it started leaking coolant. Radiator. WTH, one thing right after another, super coincidence that it started leaking right after this. Another $1,200 out the door, spending money fast on this truck, probably just going to sell it now LOL

Latest posts

Members online