Who does your 6.0 tuning?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Back when I first asked about tuning for my 6.0 in 2006 era, I had all sorts of suggestions, but Eric was the one that stood out. I went with Eric's tunes on my first try. I've since tried tunes from several other vendors and everyone has left me wanting more (customer service, poor shifting on the tunes, poor communication etc...). I keep going back to Eric for everything. I've never had to wait more than 24 hours for a tune, which is just ridiculous that he can even crank them out that fast. Innovative all the way.

I will say, I would still like to try some of Matt's tunes, but I think Matt and Eric have tunes that are quite similar and the differences come down to personal preference on those, but I wont know until I try for myself. I'm in no rush though.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I ran idp on my 6.0 and loved it just smokey for my liking. In the 6.4 world I love matts tunes. For my 6.4 it's very clean power, very little smoke and trans tunes are amazing

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
Gearhead and Innovative are different for sure! Comes down to personal preference...I actually like both.

Stroked777

Reaction score
gearhead does have very good customer service as well. i emailed him a tune at 9pm one night to have it tweked and i had the revised tune in my inbox at 11pm same day, awesome guy and always responds to an email same day with in hours usually

morepower02

Reaction score
Curious since I guess there is a night and day difference between Innovative and gearhead what the difference is?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Gearhead for me. Give Matt a break and go through Larz. I suppose I could branch out and try different tuners, but I just love Matt's tunes and his tuning philosophy and I have no complaints with his tuning. Plus he's a Texas boy, so I like keeping it "family"

sootie

Reaction score
Curious since I guess there is a night and day difference between Innovative and gearhead what the difference is?

shifting is a big thing. also, innovative is more of a light switch affect and gearhead is more linear

DZL JIM

Reaction score
gearhead does have very good customer service as well. i emailed him a tune at 9pm one night to have it tweked and i had the revised tune in my inbox at 11pm same day...

Cool for you. It took me 11 emails to him last week getting him to understand what revisions I needed/wanted, his final response was "No, use what you have."
So now Eric's tunes are in both of my trucks....

It's a dumb answer, but everything....

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Cool for you. It took me 11 emails to him last week getting him to understand what revisions I needed/wanted, his final response was "No, use what you have."
So now Eric's tunes are in both of my trucks....

nothing wrong with that... like I said, if you want top notch customer support @ Gearhead, go through Larz. I used to have a hiccup here and there contacting Matt directly, but once I started going through Larz ([email protected]) everything is golden. I get an occasional hiccup, but Larz is on top of things and it gets handled ASAP.

respect Matt's desire to TUNE and go through his sales dept to handle the sales, and you'll be much happier IMO

Stroked777

Reaction score
The difference between idp and Gearhead to me is that gh has very clean tunes the youth the rpm and boost ranges. And idp is just smokey from a stop and much mashing it
I bought a SCT hand held unit only good for custom tunes with the intentions of getting idp tunes to run in my 6.4

Gearhead

Reaction score
No, they are VERY different.

The van tunes have some unique issues.

Also, I don't disable the adaptive learning on the transmissions that can tear them up especially when breaking in. This was your concern and I said that it wasn't a concern. My tow tunes are extremely different than the SRL based files. On highly modified trucks, there really isn't' a true "tow" file available. I take a complete systematic approach to tuning so if you are going to try and tow 20k with a stage 3 turbo and 75% nozzles, you won't ever be happy.

Also a phone call would have gone a long way. I don't tell you how to build injectors because that isn't my area of expertise, I was trying to tell you that your freshly built transmission would be fine with the SRL-based files I sent you. You seemed intent on telling me that just driving nicely while breaking in a new transmission wasn't within your realm of possibility.

Also no matter what it is, it seems like I only get the oddball trucks that nobody else seems to be able to get to run right when you order anything from me. Maybe if you ordered more than three tunes from me in the last year, you would see what our tunes run like. I tried to help you every time and one time you had received a corrupted file on your OBS that we kept tuning off of over and over again.... so that was my fault and I tried to make it right with you.

Done!

Last edited:

08twinturbo

Reaction score
On Matts behalf. He wrote me 4 tunes on my 6.0 excursion just to get the lockup dead on the mph I wanted in the last 2 gears. Truck runs without a single hiccup. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
The difference between idp and Gearhead to me is that gh has very clean tunes the youth the rpm and boost ranges. And idp is just smokey from a stop and much mashing it...

I did not experience this at all.
Matt's and Eric's tunes are both clean, IMO, but Matt's hot tune is smokier, which I would expect with the hot tune. I'm not complaining because once the turbo spools it's a haze at best.
Matt's hot tune is the funnest tune I have ever driven in and gets a ton of compliments from people that ride with me. It plants you firmly in the seat and takes off. No other tuner has done that, in my experience, yet. The downside is little issues that need dialed in so it makes for quirky daily driving.
Eric's tunes are similar to others that I have tried in that they take a lot more throttle than Matt's to get the same powerful feeling, so they feel lazy unless you are aggressive with the throttle. But they are overall dialed in well and drive very nice. Nice quiet, clean, effortless driving.
Simply put they just drive different and are totally different tuning approaches.

Matt, if Andy told me to paint the trans orange with pink dots to help break it in, I would have gone to Walmart and bought some paint.
All you had to do was send me a "Tow tune" so I have the piece of mind that I am doing what Andy requires for break-in. With the tune I had from you it simply was not possible to "drive nicely", it's just too hot of a tune, period. I am a paying customer like everyone else and all I got was "No." Not even a "Give me a call so we can discuss," you said "No" so I moved on.

Since you don't tune full time a phone call isn't possible. Evenings/nights are family time and I refuse to do business after working 12 hours in the shop, so emails are the only option with you.

I have no idea on what you mean by "oddball trucks that nobody else can tune right." You have been our first call on our 6.0 trucks and everything we do is completely average. Unless you mean any modification makes it 'odd'. As many times as I have given you a shot at what we need, we always have found a tuner to make the truck run well. The 'oddball' comment is puzzling.
And I can't really buy more than 3 tunes a year from you because when I can't get my own trucks to run well it makes it difficult to recommend you to our customers.

You have the right to pick and choose who's tuning you do, it's none of my business. Sounds like lots of your customers are well taken care of.

Latest posts

Members online