Why do we 7.3 guys lock our tc's early and during shifts, and the cummins guys cant?

always-strokin

Reaction score
I ask because I see a lot of the big hp guys on here who keep their TC locked thru all gears when pulling or towing, and also when just driving around. It seems that the cummins guys w/ their 12v's dont like shifting w/ their tc's locked because their trannies self destruct. They also so they cant use their lockup switch til 3rd gear when WOT.

Is this because our 7.3 tuning can adjust things while shifting, or do we just have better trannies?

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Power is made in different RPM bands with the different motors.....

always-strokin

Reaction score
they cant without modding the valve body under 3rd gear i believe

Right thats what I'm understanding... but why? Why doesn't our 7.3 need anything special like that?

Power is made in different RPM bands with the different motors.....

Right the cummins makes its power lower on, and the powerstroke makes max hp higher up...

Hell, the cummins guys are even afraid to install triple disk converters on their stock transmissions w/out upgrading to a billet input shaft because a triple disk alone they say will rip their trans apart...

Last edited:

PSD715

Reaction score
47rh and 47re are just huge piles of crap. Its not a matter of where the power is. They wouldn't be able to handle it with a 7.3 either. They should never have even bolted to a diesel. A rowdy driver can fry the auto in a 12v without even turning it up at all

dirk0

Reaction score
Because I pointed my finger at the trans and told it to do so... or else.

(I believe the valve body issue is correct. Even on the 68rfe. I have a similar issue with my 545rfe until I pulled the valve body and put in a shift kit. As well as a line pressure connector to fool the TCM.)

always-strokin

Reaction score
47rh and 47re are just huge piles of crap. Its not a matter of where the power is. They wouldn't be able to handle it with a 7.3 either. They should never have even bolted to a diesel. A rowdy driver can fry the auto in a 12v without even turning it up at all

Ah... then that completely explains it. I knew they were junk, but didn't realize they were THAT junky.

So the e4od/4r are pretty darn decent trannies then.

20007.3L

Reaction score

Night and day! Let me put it this way, i worked at a trans shop a while back. We were putting out 25-26 4L60/4L80's a DAY! And 28-30 Mopar (all kinds) of transmissions a day. 1 E4OD/4R100 a WEEK. They actually layed off the guy who was building those transmissions because there was no work! Help a little bit?

dirk0

Reaction score
Ah... then that completely explains it. I knew they were junk, but didn't realize they were THAT junky.

The e40d-4r100 is fair at best. They are sloppy and run hot from the factory. And that stupid line bypass crap was a great way to kill a transmission. I don't remember a trans having that before and wasn't needed.

Delete the bypass setup, put in a good valve body and a larger cooler, and it's not bad if you're under 400rwhp and don't beat the hell out of it.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Night and day! Let me put it this way, i worked at a trans shop a while back. We were putting out 25-26 4L60/4L80's a DAY! And 28-30 Mopar (all kinds) of transmissions a day. 1 E4OD/4R100 a WEEK. They actually layed off the guy who was building those transmissions because there was no work! Help a little bit?

Thats really interesting... thanks for the insight bud.

The e40d-4r100 is fair at best. They are sloppy and run hot from the factory. And that stupid line bypass crap was a great way to kill a transmission. I don't remember a trans having that before and wasn't needed.

Delete the bypass setup, put in a good valve body and a larger cooler, and it's not bad if you're under 400rwhp and don't beat the hell out of it.

BUT, the 1997's were supposedly VERY similar to the 4r's (as in, a few internal parts different), including steel gears. So would the 1997 e4 w/ good tc and vb and steel gears be the exception to your statement?
BUT, the 21997

always-strokin

Reaction score
Did not help much did it? LOL

But ya know i have thought about the same thing. They have a GREAT motor but they can not put a quality Transmission behind that Cummins. IDK why?

Oh I wasn't being sarcastic at all... that was some interesting first hand information :)

And its not only the trannies on the dodges that suck though. Tranny back blows.

dirk0

Reaction score
Thats really interesting... thanks for the insight bud.

BUT, the 1997's were supposedly VERY similar to the 4r's (as in, a few internal parts different), including steel gears. So would the 1997 e4 w/ good tc and vb and steel gears be the exception to your statement?
BUT, the 21997

My comment is for the trans from the factory, regardless of year model. When you start changing out the TC\VB\whatever, it only gets better.

David rebuilt mine and I had some other upgrades from JW and BTS when I did my 4WD conversion. It is completely solid now. The only thing I don't like is the tires scrubbing all the way into 3rd. But, tires are cheap in comparison.

always-strokin

Reaction score
My comment is for the trans from the factory, regardless of year model. When you start changing out the TC\VB\whatever, it only gets better.

David rebuilt mine and I had some other upgrades from JW and BTS when I did my 4WD conversion. It is completely solid now. The only thing I don't like is the tires scrubbing all the way into 3rd. But, tires are cheap in comparison.

Tires scrubbing in third :eek: What power levels?

dirk0

Reaction score
Oh I wasn't being sarcastic at all... that was some interesting first hand information :)

And its not only the trannies on the dodges that suck though. Tranny back blows.

Like a gold bar, dipped in crap.

Tires scrubbing in third :eek: What power levels?

I don't know. Does it at part throttle or full. It just shifts fast and hard. JW\BTS\DI trans setups will do that. Even after Brian sent me a VB years ago and Tony tuned it, then David rebuilt it, then Brian tore it back down for the conversion... Brian said to add a bit more pressure after inspecting the trans not 5-6k miles after the build.

So I had Tony live tune it again, and now it is perfect. I didn't really notice a difference. But if Brian said to make a few changes in programming, I will listen.

Hindsight being 20/20, my caltracs don't exactly help either. The rear axle doesn't move a lot, if any.

Latest posts

Members online