Why does the 4x4 switch turn off my AC fan?

1BD9D7

Reaction score
This is on a 2006 F350 XLT regular cab. When I turn the electronic 4x4 knob from 2wd to 4x4 Hi, the fan will just stop blowing (whether it was set to 1,2,3,4 does not matter, it goes straight to zero-fan shuts off). Just curious why it does this, I have had the fan eventually come back on without going back to 2wd

1BD9D7

Reaction score
There is another thing probably not worth noting...at one time the truck had a host of electrical problems, examples; hold down the button to roll down the window and it might go part way then stop-go-stop-go and sometimes would just stop working altogether, the radio would shut off by itself, I am sure there was another thing or two, but ALL these problems were solved with a new gauge cluster!

At the moment there are no issues except this strange blower fan shutting off problem... Where might the vacuum leak be? I would not know where to check.

Redpower

Reaction score
Is the fan shutting off or is it directing air out the defrost? A vacuum leak will direct the air out the defrost, but not shut the fan off.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Right, I need to check that when I get a chance. I'm almost sure it shuts off the fan but I will let you know.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Ok I got some better info. The fan is NOT shutting off, but switching the electronic 4x4 either on OR off will switch the air from coming out the vents to defrost instead. I still don't know how to fix that but you guys saying vacuum leak must be correct. Not a big deal, of course, just curious if anyone has fixed this same issue.

Redpower

Reaction score
I had this happening on my 07. My leak was at my hubs. Easiest way I found to do this was take a handheld vac pump (had to borrow one from a friend) and unhook from the pump on the pass side of the engine compartment. I kept moving the pump further on each connection till I found the problem. You can unhook the vac line on the inside of each wheel if you want to test the hubs right away.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Cool that gives me an idea then, thanks for that reply. It's dads truck and hes not too worried about it, it's just annoying this time of the year when 4x4 is being used often and it's hot out.

Latest posts

Members online