Why the big push for single turbos over compounds?

johnp115

Reaction score
Heres an outside drive by easy on the throttle

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Heres the raspy idle I'm talking about

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Heres in cab windows up normal accel

YouTube Video

Heres a 10 roll WOT... Was hoping to break loose...Didnt
YouTube Video

09stroker

Reaction score
Having it revved out all the time would annoy the hell outta me. But if that's what it takes to spool a "good spooling" turbo then I guess you have no choice.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408671862481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408671862481.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 67

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
just my opinion on big twins that light quick , and triples that light quick , motor no likey until it has rods and pistons. don't ask me how I know, but the quest for 1200 with quick spool was pretty close to attained , but incredibly detrimental to my mental state and financial status , and I now raise the white flag. *** that $hit . too many motors gone by by in my day.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Sellin it?

yep. with a stock motor with hd pistons, 6.0 manifolds , atmo turbo if the buyer so requests. as well a stage 2 elite trans . built motor , injectors, and big twin kit will be for sale separately , as well stage 6 trans and dual pump kit are gone. truck has 21000 miles iirc .

2good2Btru

Reaction score
yep. with a stock motor with hd pistons, 6.0 manifolds , atmo turbo if the buyer so requests. as well a stage 2 elite trans . built motor , injectors, and big twin kit will be for sale separately , as well stage 6 trans and dual pump kit are gone. truck has 21000 miles iirc .
Oh my:(

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

I really don't wanna derail anymore, I guess ill update my Godzilla thread, just time to move on, the chips never seemed to fall in my favor on that truck , but showed crazy signs of huge fuel only power with very fast spoolup which has eluded many . I can say that green truck did a ton of developmental work in its few miles and 7 engines. it NEVER had one oil change. LOL

Dzchey21

Reaction score
If I remember right I was the first street truck to run a single back in 2010 before dual fuelers or any sort of injector over 15 percent

I live at 6000 feet and the truck was a turd and it was only a 68mm charger

Ease of changing turbos was great
Fuel mileage and egt were high because of the low cruising boost
I might have gotten more out of it with better tuning and bigger fuel but none of that was obtainable and at the time there weren't allot of compound options either

These new drop on atomos kill it because you get stock response with good power

I wouldn't mind trying a single again with mcc but I'm sick of 6.4s so it will be on a good engine with decent heads. Transmission tuning would be key anyway

Singles will always make more power than the same size atmo on compounds
Drive pressure is always higher on compounds along with boost
Converters hate being stalled against ask how many converters anyone has been thru with a big single who races regularly

Reaction score
I just had a customer we did a gt4094r single setup for run a 12.5 in an eclb 4x4 on stock fuel completely stock motor stock pushrod on fuel. Like 108 mph iirc. Should have some videos. Spools like large stock housing compounds. Using a 1600 stall with no plans of changing.

My point is that not all singles are a big pile to drive. There are lots of options and combinations. There are obvious downfalls and positives.

Wayne, if a guy only wants 650 hp and goes with a 366 like the one in your compound setup because it's cheaper and easier to work on, how is that going to drive any worse than what you have? Only difference is that they don't have the 88 out front. And on top of that they can buy a turbo any where instead of being locked into sending their charger to one place and being at their mercy. Basically all the same reasons you have the turbos you have. Just less power. So get off you soap box for a little bit. So what if people like the sound, is that a new concept? Hell most people want high powers for the sound alone. Big deal, if it floats your boat then go for it.

I think all of us are here for the same reason. We don't NEED any of these performance parts or mods. It what we want and what makes us happy. Everyone is different.

And because for $1850 your stock tuned and deleted 6.4 can run like this....

http://youtu.be/1Hal2DrXnVc

Last edited:

BlackPearl6.4

Reaction score
I just had a customer we did a gt4094r single setup for run a 12.5 in an eclb 4x4 on stock fuel completely stock motor stock pushrod on fuel. Like 108 mph iirc. Should have some videos. Spools like large stock housing compounds. Using a 1600 stall with no plans of changing.

My point is that not all singles are a big pile to drive. There are lots of options and combinations. There are obvious downfalls and positives.

Wayne, if a guy only wants 650 hp and goes with a 366 like the one in your compound setup because it's cheaper and easier to work on, how is that going to drive any worse than what you have? Only difference is that they don't have the 88 out front. And on top of that they can buy a turbo any where instead of being locked into sending their charger to one place and being at their mercy. Basically all the same reasons you have the turbos you have. Just less power. So get off you soap box for a little bit. So what if people like the sound, is that a new concept? Hell most people want high powers for the sound alone. Big deal, if it floats your boat then go for it.

I think all of us are here for the same reason. We don't NEED any of these performance parts or mods. It what we want and what makes us happy. Everyone is different.

And because for $1850 your stock tuned and deleted 6.4 can run like this....

http://youtu.be/1Hal2DrXnVc

Man. Couldn't have said it better myself lol I just installed your kit with a billet s366. I hope to run in the mid 12's on stock fuel lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.